Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Davedee

Amber jewellery is very popular in DR, wood carvings, pottery, cigars and also conche shells ?

Not too sure about markets but on the road into playa dorada there are people selling craft items etc. for about 1/2 mile.

Hope this helps a little ..
To add to Sharleen21 post you can buy Larimar jewellery and grey granite like statuettes and place/drink mats.
I've brought back a painting or two before, they take them off the wood and roll up the canvas to make it easy to transport. Don't forget you are expected to haggle with the street and beach traders to get the price down.

Cigarettes are very cheap at the airport but you're only allowed 200 each.
As has been said above the paintings are great but the best item to buy by far is the Rum :tongue, you can also book a shopping trip and they will take you out around puerto plata and also up to the cable car.
We had a taxi and guide take us to various places including the shops in Puerto Plata. My friend and I bought a couple of pairs of leather sandals each for next to nothing and they lasted really well. Her hubby also paid a bit more for some quality leather shoes for work. I'm sorry I didn't buy more sandals as there was a beautiful choice.

Also agree about the rum - dirt cheap and very nice :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.