General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I send an e mail 4 weeks before we arrive, and then send a reminder a fortnight later. I try not to make too many requests.
I send an e-mail a fortnight before if we've booked a package but normally about 3 weeks before if I've booked direct. I don't make up any stories about it being a special birthday or anniversary etc but just ask politely for a double room (as opposed to a twin) in my favoured position in the hotel (best view or quietest etc ). I would worry that the more I asked for, the less I'd get and I wouldn't want to appear greedy, asking for more than I'd paid for.
Would 25 be classed as a special birthday? :cheers I will be in Portugal on my birthday :rofl
When I was at the Riu Green Park in PEK people with birthdays were surprised when they got a cake on their birthday.
The reception staff make a note of peoples birthdays when checking their passports,so anyone who wants to keep it quiet has no chance. :rofl :rofl
48 hours before, as I dont reckon they look at new bookings until a few days before you are due there, i'm not convinced that if something is done too far in advance they have the systems, either manual or IT to deal with it.

Although if I want something like a quiet room, top floor room etc & book through the likes of TUI/TC I get them to put it on the special request part of the booking form as well, but then still email 48 hours before.
Hi Doe! I'm sure I've read somewhere, that customers come up on the accommodation system 2 weeks before. :que
Hi helen :)

TBH I have never really read anything about it. I kind of assumed each different hotel/Country maybe, would have different systems, maybe a tiny hotel one thing and a Hilton something else, I didn't realise there was one room allocation system for all hotels. :think

I am really just going by what I have done & what has worked for me in the past, and seem to ahve more luck closer to the date.

Sometimes when I go to check it, it seems to me like nothing has been done in advance at all and they just go through whatever available rooms they have in your room category and allocate the specific room at that point in time :que But with advanced computer sytems now you may be right.

Doe :sun2
I do think that some places are more considerate than others, but perhaps that has something to do with the size and layout of the accommodation :que There can be no harm done with a polite, considerate, request.
I usually email a week before,and have been lucky to get what i have asked for.For UK break hotels I phone up a couple of days before and request a low floor room due to my mobility,the rooms I have been given are larger than most they have,maybe they think I am in a wheelchair ;)
7-10 days before so by that time they should have a note of my name, I include name of tour operator and arrival date and also include some Spanish/Greek phrases (obviouly depending where I am travelling to)
My parents come out to Cyprus to visit us every November for a month and I book their holiday for them. We usually go to the hotel between 10 - 14 days before their arrival to confirm they have received the reservation and to make a note of their request for a twin bedded room.

They always book a pool view room for the afternoon sun and I always double check this is in their system too and leave them my Cyprus mobile number in case they need to reach me ;)

Never had a problem yet and the guest list is always with the hotel at that time.

When they go to Malta in February, I email the hotel directly with their reservation number again 10 - 14 days before their arrival with same results.

The local resort office (if booking with a tour operator) rarely send the full rooming list to the hotel more than 14 days before arrival dates.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Yes, I've also been led to believe that if booking with a travel agent, they won't send your details to the hotel until 14 days before.
My parents come out to Cyprus to visit us every November for a month and I book their holiday for them. We usually go to the hotel between 10 - 14 days before their arrival to confirm they have received the reservation and to make a note of their request for a twin bedded room.

They always book a pool view room for the afternoon sun and I always double check this is in their system too and leave them my Cyprus mobile number in case they need to reach me

Never had a problem yet and the guest list is always with the hotel at that time.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus

I spoke too soon!

My parents arrived last Wednesday evening to find their pool view room was an inland view and that they had been allocated a room with a double when I had asked at the Reception to make a note they needed a twin bedded room - (2 weeks before their arrival and in person at the hotel).

They were given no explanation for the incorrect allocation but informed to speak with Reception next morning and they would be moved. Meanwhile, I contacted Sunshine.co.uk with their online form and received an automated response that someone would get back to us soon.

My parents spoke with Reception next day and were informed they could have a room but not until after 1pm. It put a dampner on the start of their holiday as they couldn't unpack and had to move to a different floor too. My parents are both elderly (in their 70's) so they weren't too happy about it all.

I also got an email back from Sunshine.co.uk later the same day to inform me they had contacted AELOS (their local agent in Cyprus) who in turn had spoken with the Golden Arches Hotel and confirmed my parents would indeed receive the correct room.

So, all turned out okay in the end :sun2

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.