Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I would go in May, early June or September. July and August will probably be too hot.
15th May sounds perfect to me.
yes i totally agree with bridd these are the best times hot but not to hot
We first went on 20thMay 2002, it was great not too busy and we had 2 young children, weather would be fine for you.
I went last two weeks of May to Sarigerme last year, second last week was hot, just lovely, by the end of the second week it was starting to get really hot, so overall the weather was gorgeous.

I would say go for it!
Since my daughter was born, whenever we've gone to Turkey with her, we've preferred May. The weather is hot and sunny but there is usually a breeze.

Thats in Bodrum, which is only about half an hour from Turgutreis, so same weather conditions.

Elaine
We visited in May August and October last year. I would concur with everyone else and suggest middle may as being the most suitable.

Last year it was comparable to a hot summers day in England, there can be a little rainfall but it will be short and welcomed if it does (low chance).

It did get a little nippy on an evening though, but during the day it was wonderful. June is most likley much the same however with more intense midday sun.
Hi
We usually go to Icmeler in May for 2 weeks to coincide with 1 weeks school holiday and the weather is just right for us. Last year though it was much hotter, even our turkish friends were saying it was like August weather and it became a bit unbearable for my mum(71). Been June, July, September and October before but do prefer May. Going to Spain at Easter as my son cannot have time off from School, but really wish we were going to Icmeler in May but have been kind and allocated holidays to someone else at work now so definately can't go. The prices and the temps put us off going in the summer school holidays as my hubby can't stand it too hot. Its going to be hard to stay away this year as we love the place and we'll miss visiting all our friends we have made over the last 8 years.
Shaz150 :(
Many thanks for all your replies, feel really reassured that May will be OK, if fact it definetely sounds one of the best months to go in! Am now starting to have doubts about the accommodation though. Originally wanted to go to the Aegean Dream Resort in Turgutreis. However had read a few mixed reviews about hotel and resort. Some of the reviews say the resort is better for the over fifties for a relaxing break, so am not sure if it would be too quiet. Did really wanted a good family A/I with waterslides, but somewhere where you could take a walk out a night, not too secluded if you know what I mean! Liked the sound of the aegean dream, cos it was right on the beach as well. Am now wondering if we would be better off in a livelier resort, did also like the look of Olu Deniz, but the 2 1/2 hour transfer put me off! Any advice anyone as as really determined to get to Turkey this year!
If you book a private (taxi) transfer to Olu from the airport it will only take an hour. We always do that and its definately worth it.
For great slides look at Lykia World. Not AI though. Full board Plus.
http://www.lykiaworld.com
i agree with bridd you cant go wrong with lykia fab place, although to go into olu you will need a taxi as its about 1 1/2 miles away, but it does have its own beach, my kids loved it and it was the best holiday they have ever had
if not a taxis the just book a private transfer with a small travel agent there are lots about and are very resonable
If you kids like aquaparks I would advise to go in September. Cause water wont be that cold like in June...and in September its not that hot under the sun.
I thought the transfers to Olu were now a lot less due to the tunnel being built. I was told no more than an hour now but I am not sure if this is accurate.
Thanks again for your advice, am going to look into lykia world, did get one quote but it was really expensive, but I know a lot of operators go there so will try a couple more. Another question, my oldest son (8), is quite quiet and dosent really join in with kids clubs etc, but prefers to do his own thing. Would Lykia World be OK for this, or is it more centred around kids club activities etc?
Did not even think about the water temperature being cool in the pools early in the season. Is it really that cold. (Really wanted to take my son out of school before in this school year as school has got a bit funny about them having too much time off and have booked Lapland for Dec!)
Lastly, I have not heard anything about this tunnel to Olu Deniz, does anyone have anymore info?
my daughter was 5 when we went to lykia and she didnt want to go to the clubs as shes very shy and was happy to stay with us, she loved the paradise park for the kids and was happy there most of the time in all the pools slides etc, we did go to the lagoon for a few days too as its so beautiful there. we went whit so were there end of may to first week of june and i didnt find the pools cold and i usually do. do shop around for lykia as the prices fluctuate a lot, also look at diy prices to compare. make sure you dont get a garden room as these arent very nice and dont have balconies and are the main rooms that get any complaints. most of the rooms are lovely and are of a high standard. the food is fantastic at lykia it really is a wonderful place . the new tunnel cuts the travel time to olu and is around an hour if in private taxi on a coach can take longer if you stop at a few hotels on route
I found the pools really cold at Lykia World in June, a bit warmer in September and just right in July. I wouldnt go back in July though as the weather is too hot for me. The sea always seems warmer than the pools to me. If you go, remember to take beach shoes as the beach is shingly.
Hi everyone :)

i did'nt bring this up but thought that I would comment anyway..

I thought the transfers to Olu were now a lot less due to the tunnel being built. I was told no more than an hour now but I am not sure if this is accurate.

The gocek tunnel is now completely open, and although it does reduce tranfer times it is only reduced by about 10 minutes.

A private transfer to Olu Deniz will still take around 1 hr 15 mins, whilst a tour operated transfer ( by coach ) could take well over 2 hours taking into account all the drop of points in between.

I hope this has now cleared that up.

Just to comment on the original post, I totally agree with whats already been said about the weather in May and September, It's just about the right temp, not to hot, July and August is far to hot as far as we are concerned, we always go to Turkey May and September. This year is May 10th and August 30th both for 2 weeks

:wink: cheers Kev :wink:
I totally agree. May is our favourite time of year there. We're off on the 3rd May for 2 weeks :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.