Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Singapore and KL are fine any time of the year. The main problem with Malaysia is the monsoon which is on the west coast during the summer and on the east during the winter. This means if you want to do east and west (as you are suggesting) you have the chance of getting very wet, although it does rain regularly in Malaysia all year round and the Malaysian monsoon isn't supposed to be as bad as Indian ones where it rains virutally non stop for weeks on end.

Do a search on 'Malaysian weather' to get more info on the exact months when monsoon rains can be expected and plan accordingly.
We went to Penang in April and the weather was humid but reasonably dry- by this I mean during the day the sun was blazing down. It rained almost every night but mostly late on( after midnight). We did get some rain the first afternoon we arrived but this wasn't until about 4oclock.
Here is a great website for weather in Malaysia. Click on the specific destination. On the destination page you will find something called "trip planner" - add your possible dates and it will give you the best indication of what to expect.
I think you are going to get some rain on some part of your itinerary. I spent a day in Penang one September and it chucked it down all day. Having lived in Singapore and Malaysia I know you can have periods when it rains for days on end. Having said that my dad visited Penang in September for a weeks holiday and he was a retired met man and was happy enough with the weather.
Apparently according to a Singaporean the months ending in ER are the wettest.
We went to Singapore for 2 weeks in October 1988 and only had I hours rain which wasnt that heavy.
I could say the same for when we have been in December but we are talking averages, It rains all the time in Singapore that is why it is so green.
Have been to Penang in April and November and had great weather both time's it rained a little at night but more in November than April. No rain at all in Singapore and that was November.
I spent a few days in Penang at the end of September 2005. The weather was mixed, some days it was overcast, others lovely and sunny and one day it poured in the morning for about four hours.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.