Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
I did a 5 week tour of Australia (didn't visit Perth though) In Sept/October a few years ago.We started in Adelaide where the temperature was around 22°, the weather got warmer as we headed north, culminating in around 40° in the Northern Territory. We were there just before the wet season and apart from one afternoon we never saw any rain. Cairns and Brisbane were very hot but not as sticky as the far North. On a previous visit just to Sydney in February we had quite mixed weather, some showers and hot sunshine and I believe it can be quite wet in Melbourne at this time of year. If I visit Australia again I hope to go to Perth and would again go during their Spring as I have been told that the flowers can be lovely at this time of year.
We were planning to go around February time as that is When NSW is in summer time(correct?) but the North End, ie, great barrier reef is in the Wet season (correct?)

Hi Andreaa.
We were in Sydney for 7 weeks and came home on the 30th January 2011.
The weather was mixed, but seemed to be settling down more as we got into the last couple of weeks in January, and when the sun is out, it is fierce.!

Visiting the GBR was one of the things my hubby wanted to do the most, but from the day we landed in Oz and until the day we left, the weather nearly every day was being forecast rain/lightening/thunderstorms in that area.
We were watching a detailed weather forecast every night on the Aussie TV and there was a cyclone hanging/stuck off the coast near Cairns, which somebody had named Anthony.
So, we headed South to Melbourne and unfortunately the weather was non-stop monsoon rain for 3 days :bawl but, we were there when Queensland/Victoria were suffering flooding described as on " a biblical scale".
No surprise to us that shortly after returning to the UK, a different cyclone did sweep across the Cairns area, but thankfully it was categorised down at the last minute.

So from my experience, I would say you are correct about it being the "wet season" up in the North of the country.

Sanji
Hi Andreaa

I have all ways holidayed down here in end of April to ealy June the next best time is spring mid Septeber to mid November
After the end of November to Mid April you can get the wet season in the north with cyclones and huge floods .Down south the winter sets in Late June to Mid September
This year we seem to be getting rains and floods from December and still getting them all over Australia :que .Going on the last 2or 3 years February would be a big no for the northern parts of Australia as there has been floods like they have never seen before.
We will still be taking our holidays end of April to mid June we seem to get very little rain where ever we go in the country and it is not so hot up north then
If you want any more info on Aus just ask only to happy to give you some
We were there from mid-May to Mid-June and only had rain in Sydney. Temps were from around 14C in Sydney to 20+ up in Cairns and at the Gold Coast.

We went diving on the Great Barrier Reef and although the water didn't feel that cold while you were in it, it was absolutely freezing when you came out of the water. I ended up shaking uncontrollably and my teeth were chattering.

luci :wave
Thank you for the replies everyone :) much apprecitaed.

Hmmm, I'm really stuck on what time would be the best time to go and see the sights.
I think you'll be better going in February as you planned, the old place might have dried out by then!

Here's a pic of the flood level indicator for the wet season on the Burdekin River, near Townsville/Charters Towers.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/parky/Burdekin%20flood%20levels.jpg

This is the view down to the river.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/parky/burdekin%20bridge.jpg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.