Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
We are going next Easter and I have been researching. Found an airport bus transfer to hotels in Hong Kong Island here
Comes to about £12 each return
The Airport Express train/MTR tickets to Hong Kong Station cost 95 HKD (about £6.80) for a single journey or 171 HKD (around £12.19) for the return trip bought online at
http://store.mtr.com.hk/shop/default.asp?cat=ART
So it's similar in price to the bus and, if you're staying not too far from HK station, probably a lot quicker. But if your hotel is further away and on the bus drop-off route, you'll probably find it quicker/cheaper to get the bus.

Incidentally, you can also get a 3-day ticket for 285 HKD (about £20.50) that includes return Airport Express tickets, 3 days' unlimited MTR travel, 20 HKD worth of other Octopus purchases and a 50 HKD deposit that is refundable on your return to the airport. Well worth considering if you decide to get the Airport Express train.

Even if you decide to get the bus, if you're staying in HK for more than a day or two, you'll find an Octopus card invaluable for travel and small purchases in convenience stores, etc.
http://www.octopuscards.com/consumer/payment/use/en/index.jsp
PS Fiona, I know your hotel is a long way from the HK station - You're probably right to get the bus :-)
yes
we stayed close by the last time and it took a long time to get there!!
Was that a while ago Fiona? The Airport Express only takes 25 minutes to Central now.
we didn't thake the express though- we had a taxi which was included in the holiday price.
How easy is to travel on the express with a lot of luggage? And also we are staying in Causeway Bay so is it easy to get a taxi from Central?
We've also always had airport transfers included in our holiday price, so haven't used the Airport Express, but it's a dedicated airport service, running on a separate line from the other MTR trains, so I would imagine that it's been designed to make travelling with luggage as simple as possible.

Getting a taxi from Central should be no problem and there's also a shuttle bus service from HK station. However, as you're staying in Causeway Bay, which is where the entrance to the road tunnel is, I think it could be a close call as to whether it will be quicker getting the train or getting a bus straight from the airport. I think it could depend on what time you're due to arrive - if it's during the rush hours when there are big queues for the tunnel, then I'd get the train, but at other times, the bus may be quicker and also saves you the hassle of having to find a taxi or bus at the station.
just had a look at the Cosmo- wow, it looks lovely! We are staying in the Causeway Bay as well but at the other end- overlooking Victoria Park( Metropark). We have stayed in the area before- at the Excelsior.
I really liked the area, we deliberately chose a hotel there again. Unfortunately we couldn't afford the Excelsior prices this time round!
Anywhere in Hong Kong takes only minutes to get to. The MTR is great.
People are really friendly there and if you look lost you will always find someone stopping to ask if they can help( try stopping to look at a guide book and you will see what I mean!) and they don't try to sell you anything! You are close to the Ferry- be sure to take it both during the day and at night. Hong Kong has a great skyline. If I woke up during the night( as I tend to do because of jet lag!) I loved to sit by the window and look out at it. I will do a search and get some links for you.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27131&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I gave some recommendations in this topic but there is a load of other info here as well.
I am leaning towards the bus rather than the train purely because of the luggage- as you normally feel dire after the journey I don't think I could be bothered with too much hassle! Also we land at 4pm which would beexactly the right time for rush hour!
Nivsy, have you decided yet?
Thanxs Fiona....really appreciate it.

:D

Nivsy
Fiona (et al)

Yikes! Far too many choices - :D ...so no yet to decide best mode of transport. Going to once again read all your advice and then make a decision - ofcourse will notify u all of that decision and then you can all tell me I have made the wrong decision! Still with me? :D

Flying BA so if i remember correctly we get in around Saturday lunch time.

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.