Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Wings Tours is an Egyptian company, contact details HERE

I've been to the ABTA website and can't see them listed as one of their members, and I wouldn't expect them to be.

Peter
Travel Republic are also mentioned by the OP, if they are the company that the booking was originally made with, would not that be the best place to start ?
We Have made contact with Travel Republic as soon as we got back and they said that they had paid Lowcostbeds.com the portion of our holiday money for the accomodation in Egypt. Travel Republic are ABTA & ATOL protected so I hope we are OK there BUT also Lowcostbeds.com say that they paid the "LOCAL" agent in Egypt WINGS TOURS our money for our accomodation and it was down to them and the hotel to sort this out.

L-C-Beds.com also said that it should not of involved us as a tourist at all BUT this did not stop the Hotel from preventing us from leaving! We had but no option other than to pay the bill again, we even had our original receipts and invoices with us that "clearly" showed we had paid the bill 12 - 13 weeks prior to our travel. We had even spoke with the hotel "by email" several times prior to traveling so as to arrange extras for our visit and still no mention was ever made regarding the refusal of any vouchers.

We have had a "standard letter" back from Travel Republic, sorry blah, blah, 28 days etc BUT they could not even be bothered to even sign it!
I think it's time to involve Ros -
The aim of this section of the holiday-truth website is to enable holidaymakers to get advice and assistance as soon as possible on any holiday complaints or problems encountered.
Our members will be able to offer you advice on how best to deal with your holiday complaints and how to deal with the Tour Operators. However please remember that this will be non qualified advice. We therefore suggest you seek professional assistance from someone qualified in Travel Law.
We have teamed up with Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor, to provide the best information available.
Ros has offered our members free impartial legal advice. Please note that Ros does not read or post on this board any contact to her must be made via -

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134

Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.
I hate it when someone does that - I was just going to post the exact same thing. No matter.

The OP booked with Travel republic. They entered into a contract when they did so. Any other company mentioned is a sub contractor to Travel Republic who are responsible in law for ensuring they fulfill that contract.

Contact Ros for professional expert advice. It will save you time and money.

fwh
Just like to ad, that today BBC East Midlands News interviewed us today for a story to run this comming Monday PM 6-0 Clock News. They also contacted Travel Republic and asked what had gone on and the reply they received was AND I QUOTE

" why would you want to run such a TRIVAL story! Some people go on holiday and DIE !!!! "

When the news reporter then replied "what an awfull thing to say", they said well thats how is it! The news reporter then said that, that's OK then i'll ring our client and explained to them that they should think theirselves lucky because at least their still alive!

20 mins later received a personal telephone call and a full unreserved apology from the Managing Director of Travel Republic "- name removed -" He has stated that we will receive a full refund of monies paid and that they will also seek compensation on our behalf from Lowcostbeds.com.
  • Edited by MarkJ 2008-10-31 17:56:27
    To remove name of staff member
Sorry but I had to laugh out loud at what the person from Travel Republic said, it's so appalling and shoddy.

Glad you went ahead with the radio programme, just to show up the poor customer service and awful levels of training (if any?) they must give their staff.

What happened to you is everybodys worst nightmare, I should have hated to be stuck in Sharm with my two kids and basically told I couldn't go home until I had paid again for a holiday I had already paid for. :shock:

So glad that they are now refunding you. They should be shown up for the charletons that they are and before anyone moans yes I know it wasn't Travel Republic's fault that the Egyptian company went belly-up but that still doesn't excuse Travel Republic treating the OP in this way, they were the ones (s)he made the contract with so they should have given an immediate refund on production of the appropriate paperwork.

The power of the media ! Good Result.
Would not hold your breath for compensation but am pleased you "seem" to be getting a result.

I can never understand why getting the media involved brings forth the apology and speedy settlement. I doubt anyone is fooled into thinking that the company responsible really are all caring - the image they like to project.

Please stick around here on HT - you never know, with your personal experience you might just be able to help someone else.

fwh
A good result in this case would be a total refund plus punitive damages for false imprisonment.
Just like to ad, that today BBC East Midlands News interviewed us today for a story to run this comming Monday PM 6-0 Clock News. They also contacted Travel Republic and asked what had gone on and the reply they received was AND I QUOTE

" why would you want to run such a TRIVAL story! Some people go on holiday and DIE !!!! "

:shock:

Wow. It's almost so unappropriate it's almost unbelievable that a normal human being could say something like that.

If the story gets repeated on iPlayer, or the possibility of sticking the story on You Tube arises, do let us know because I would love to see it.
We will record and put on you tube, think it might as well be there to warn others!
Perhaps a word with your Member of Parliament may be in order here. Her Majesty's Foreign Office would, I imagine, take a fairly dim view of one or more of Her Majesty's subjects being constrained against their will in a foreign land !!
Sagres,
Things have changed, this is the UK we are talking about.
If this family had somehow managed to escape and get back to the UK without paying, our current lot would have probably arrested them at the airport and extradited them.

We are off to Egypt next month but hopefully FC won't collapse while we are there.
We had a bad experience the first time we went which denigrated our holiday, but this nightmare must have added so much stress - the guns and threats are real - that the OP should be due some compensation for a completely trashed holiday and ongoing blood pressure problems! There is also the added problem that every future holiday will have a cloud. It may be worth talking to Ros!
I've just seen you on BBC East Midlands and what an ordeal you had. Hope you get a lot of compensation - you deserve it after what you went through. Keep pushing it.

Jean
Hi,

Just to advise you all and keep you up to date, we have had an offer of compensation that is still being considered! The offer is from Lowcostbeds.com although it is being negociated between Ourselves and Travel Republic.
Harby,Have you given Ros a ring? We used her a couple of years ago and she got us all our money back after the company only offered us £80 compensation.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.