France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Sorry can't help with the details because I'm in the opposite corner of the Hexagon. But http://www.biarritz.fr/Website/site/tourisme_en.php may give you something to work on. Biarritz is part of the Basque country and there are lots of nice cheeses and cold cuts, and the spice Piment d'Espelette comes from nearby so you can look forward to great picnics!

You might consider hiring a car or visiting other areas by bus or train if you can't find enough here. The beaches are good and although this is known as being quite a well-heeled area, there are plenty of ordinary people earning local wages who still manage to eat locally, buy locally and find enough to do. Don't give up too soon!
It's quite a few years since we were in Biarritz but it is a great destination with lots to do in the area with its' proximity to the Pyrenees. Some lovely towns to explore: St Jean de Luz & to San Sebastian across the border.

We were caravanning at the time but don't remember things being any more expensive there than other parts of France. As with anywhere there will always be expensive options but plenty of cheaper Bistro type places & I wouldn't be put of by fears of high prices. Have you explored private rentals ( Owners Direct, Holidaylettings etc?) as you can budget more easily -- maybe make your own breakfast & lunch & eat out at night?)

Beaches on that Atlantic coast are fantastic but be warned very high seas: hence a favourite destination of surfers so always swim where there are life guards.

I'd recommend the area. Hope this helps :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.