Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Aer Arann have announced they are to take over from Ryanair linking Blackpool with Dublin with 5x weekly flights from January 2009. They'll be using their fleet of ATR 72 turbo-props. More here.

Darren
Sorry to but in, as a non local but....

Blackpool surely must be putting itself at a great disadvantage here. Its got so much competition that it cannot afford to take on schemes like APD

It's not in the position of my old airport Teesside (Durham TV) which has little opposition and has been able to develop

It needs to offer a unique selling point and I don't think people are going to be willing to pay for it especially if the taxi to Manchester/Liverpool and that already cheaper flight are an APD taxi fare diffference away
Hi You can now park for free at Blackpool Airport,they have added an extra charge of £10 pp though,its ok if you live outside Blackpool and take your car but for us that live there we do'nt gain anything.
oldies,

All the information relating to the introduction of the Airport Development Fee (ADP) is discussed on the previous few posts. It came in to effect on monday 5th Jan 09. Ryanair said 'adios' the day before with Aer Arran taking over on the BLK-Dublin route.

Darren
Flybe/Loganair have today (02/02/09) announced they intend to start flights to the Isle Of Man 3x daily from May 3rd 2009 with onward connections to Glasgow and Belfast. They'll be using Saab 340 turbo-prop aircraft. More information is available on BLK's website or Flybe.com.

The controversial Airport Development Fee is starting to be invested in improved airport infrastructure. £1 million is being invested with the apron extension currently underway and plans in place to resurface and stengthen part of the main runway (10/28) and taxiway to accomodate larger / heavier aircraft and provide a smoother surface for current aircraft. This will open possibilities to fly to destinations further afield such as eastern and southern Mediterranean. Have a look at Blackpool Gazette for more details.

Darren
You now have me concerned. I'm travelling from Glasgow at end of June to fly with Jet2 to Faro.

There will be two cars and we are booked at the premier inn (I think) at the airport for the night before.

We booked that hotel after the 'free' parking announcement but now worried about getting up on the day of departure and not getting a space in the car park.

Should I be looking at booking an alternative? Any locals suggest a last minute panic alternative ?

Cheers

David
Hi David,

I would try and take a look at the airport parking the night before.
If busy, then maybe you could get get the cars in the night before or very early morning and walk or taxi to the airport - sure it's only a few hundred yards from the hotel.

John
Thanks everyone for their replies here and by PM - really appreciated.

I also mailed the airport who have ensured me they have ample spaces and there are always some available.

Cheers

David
woooohooo, just seen on our local news that old blackers has come tops in a new survey on the good the bad and the ugly airports, they are doing well considering the amount of flights they actually deal with....it's just down the road from us and we are directly under the flight path, won't be much more than the old (loud!!!!!!) jet2's flying over my washing line this summer now that ryanair have done one- i wonder if this survey was conducted befor they started wanting a fiver each to use the place ;)
Good to see people are satisfied with Blackpool Airport. I think the report needs taking with a pinch of salt though; the fact they have so few flights on a daily / weekly basis means there's little congestion and you almost get a personal service on some flights. You're bound to be more possitive than other airports simply because they are far busier and offer far more destinations. You can't really compare it to the likes of Gatwick or Manchester that handle more flights / passenger in a morning than Blackpool does in a week! Having said that, Blackpool is a lovely airport to fly from partly because it's so quiet traffic wise; it's rarely busy so small queues and plenty of space in the brightly coloured departure lounge. I'm not surprised it comes out favourably.

Darren
London City airport came top.Blackpool were in the top 10 it was a survey carried out by wich magazine.
Sorry read it wrong in the local paper London came second :whoops
Thanks Darren, still hoping i'll get parked. At least they are keeping an eye on it !
I've booked my flights for my day trip from BLK to the Isle of Man so I'll be able to give a better update on things in June (Let 410 and Saab 340A here we come!).

Darren
Flybe/Loganair announced on 9th June that it will withdraw its services linking Blackpool with Isle of Man and Belfast City. It's operations only began on 3rd May but they have'nt worked for them. Its final flights on each route will take place on Sunday 12 July (I got mine in just in time!). More details on Loganairs website.

Darren
Blackpool airport have announced their cheif executive David Kershaw is to leave too. It was in our local blackpool paper on friday.If i'm not mistaken he was the one that introduced the ADF charge.I'm just hoping Jet2 will hold on in there :fly
oldies wrote:
Blackpool airport have announced their cheif executive David Kershaw is to leave too

That's correct, report here.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.