Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
All the boats from the front are fine and you can either book or turn up on the day. We went two years ago and it was about £5-7 and that included lunch, although I would recommend on your way to the boat there is a sandwich shop on the corner, get something from there as the lunch was limited. Saying that £7 for a boat trip including lunch you can't go wrong. We used Metrolya for all our trips last time, the Jeep Safari, Dalayan and my partner did the parascend and they were very good.

We got in 5 weeks today and I can't wait!
Most boat trips from Oludeniz go to Butterfly Valley, St Nicholas Island, Cold Water Bay and maybe another stop or two. Getting on and off can be a bit tricky if there's a swell, as there's no jetty on the beach. They're good fun though, and such good value.

Better, though a bit more trouble, is the 12-island trip from Fethiye harbour. You can do it through tour operators in Oludeniz, or just get a dolmus from Oludeniz at about eight-thirty, and go down to the harbour . Most trips leave about 10:00. There are literally dozens of boats doing trips. It's just a matter of finding one that appeals. About £8-£10, probably, inc lunch. You can usually haggle free or half price for kids. I think the scenery in Fethiye Bay is more interesting than around Olu, and some of the stops are desert-island-beautiful.
thanks

i think i will try fethiye sounds nice from there.

sooze 29 whatdate do you go ?

we travel out on the 31st may from gatwick
I think that it is better to go from Fethiye. As previously mentioned , it can be very difficult to get on and off the boat in Olu Deniz if there is a big swell.

There is talk of the council building a jetty for the summer but I am not holding my breath.

The trips from Fethiye are very good. There is a wide range of boats available. Some carry over 100 people on board,some 25-40 people and there are smaller boats for private hire.

You can turn up at the harbour in the morning or, which I think is better, go to the harbour in the evening. Take your time and have a look at what's available. The guys selling the trips are less busy then and have the time to chat.
snooze,

where are you staying ?

we're at Lykia World
Montebello Beach, although last time we stayed at the Karbel.
Hi Gregg,

I agree with the others - it's better to take a boat trip from the harbour in Fethiye. You can catch a dolmus from anywhere in Olu and it will take you into Fethiye town, and then it's just a 5/10 minute walk to the harbour.

The boat trips leaving Oludeniz can be very difficult to get off on your return if there's a big swell, and I'm only surprised there hasn't been any accidents. I was on a trip once and saw an elderly woman almost thrown off the gangplank as a big wave tossed it up into the air; even the boy holding the rope was pulled up.

If you like a peaceful boat trip make sure you check that the boat isn't taking a school trip out. We went on one boat trip and the woman never told us that a college had booked about 100 pupils on the trip - and throughout the journey they played Turkish Rap music at deafening levels. It was absolutely awful. It was probably an end of term thing, but best to check, anyway.

Sundays are when a lot of Turkish people take boat trips around the islands, and that's also when they have the market in Gocek where the boats stop for an hour or two. Gocek is beautiful by the way.

Some of the boats have water slides so you can slide down straight into the sea when they stop, so if you like swimming it's worth looking for one of those.

This sounds a bit Germanic, but as you're going to be on the boat for the best part of the day it's wise to get there early so that you can position your towels where you want to sit or lay on deck. The best spots go very quickly.

Strawberry
thanks for your advice i'm taking my 67yr old mum not that shes frail she's not but the swell might put her off !!

just want to treat her to see some of the islands and other places of turkish areas

thanks again for the advice
I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can take a boat down the river at Dalyan and visit the mudbaths, passing some of the tombs in the cliffs along the way. We'll be staying in Olu but I quite fancy that trip. Does anybody know if it's the Tour Ops that offer this or can I book it elsewhere? Thanks.
Yes we went on this trip and booked with Metrolya but there are loads of tour companies all offerieng the same trips. It was really nice, found it a bit boring at the end as we had about an hour on a beach, when we really just wanted to get back to Olu then, but otherwise great.

The Jeep Safari was fantastic, such a great fun day out, with spectacular scenery. Could be a bit hairy at times but it depended what jeep you were in. Ours was ex army and I think our driver was too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.