Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
nice report Peter.
Vasco sounds interesting. I like to find non tourist places to visit. We like to do things like visit a local market(ie totally for locals).Mind you, have had to look away from some things :D
and were travelling with monarch even with our upgrade were not safe,lets hope out of manchester the crew our better,heres hoping
Hi, all; we've flown with Monarch for the last four or five years, until finally we could take no more! Tired of poor seats, awful food and terrible service we paid a little extra and flew with First Choice this year. What a revelation! The meals were actually edible, service top notch, seats had ample leg room and individual tv's, plus we arrived nearly an hour early. I recommend them and they'll be the only airline I'm ever travelling to Goa with.
An excellent summary of Bogmalo.We have been here now for over 4 months (10th year) and the place does not change.I will say hello to Tanaji for your as he is a good friend of mine.

john
Nice report Peter, Glad you enjoyed Bogmalo. Shame about Monarch - especially after upgrading. We found the extra legroom seats not TOO bad, but that was in comparison to previous Monarch flights to Goa. Good to hear a bit about Vasco de Gama....we missed that :cry:
Damien
Hi John,

Sorry not to have got back sooner, but all sorts of Internet problems since I got back. I am just finishing PC rebuild which has taken priority over everything!

Thanks - yes please give our regards to Tanaji, a good bloke!

djk - Hi,

Yes Monarch was a letdown, but a very good break in Goa despite Monarch's best efforts. Janet and I both thought that a few hours in Vasco were very worthwhile - next time for you, perhaps? :wink:

Peter
Hi PeteB
We have just booked two weeks at Bogmalo Beach in November. It's our first visit to GOA. We are flying with First Choice, are going B&B and have upgraded to a delux room. Do you have any other tips or info that you think we should know.
Thanks
Pam
Hi Pam,

Try to get a room on the top floor (you have booked deluxe, but an e-mail of fax directly to the hotel may work wonders!) - we found that there was a fair amount of noise from people walking above.

You have undoubtedly seen my report, so my advice is not to eat in the hotel (except breakfast) - there were plenty of places to eat.

We found that it was simple to take a taxi from and to the airport, rather than use the T/Os coach. Much faster (and perhaps a better choice of rooms) - just remember to let your rep know what you are doing.

We can really recommend Tanaji Kavelekar as a driver (not quite as worrying as some others). John (jcbrum) will probably be able to put you in touch.

If you wish to do any trips (Betty's boat on the river Sal and Dolphin spotting is thoroughly recommended), it is cheaper to book them locally - or to book a taxi/car for private use (unless you want the company of others).

We are going to Goa in March, staying on Mobor beach. We will probably try to book Tanaji for the journey from airport to hotel and will certainly visit Bogmalo during our trip.

We really enjoyed Bogmalo - I'm sure that you will too.

Peter
I agree withs Pete,Tanaji is an excellent driver ,excellent knowledge of the area and speaks perfect English.

There is a small but excellent choice of restaraunts with Joets,Coconut Creek and Claudies the best.

Any help you need just contact me as i have been living here for the past year or so.

John
To Pete and John

Thanks so much to both of you for all the info.

I will be making notes and taking them with me. It's a long time to go but I am really looking forward to it. Lots of time to save up!! We would like to go and see the Taj Mahal during our stay. Any advice? And my husband would like an elephant ride (!!).

This is our first holiday without kids for years, and have been used to the all inclusive in Greece etc in the summer holidays, so a bit nervous about going bed and breakfast and eating out, but both your comments are very reassuring. Are the beach shacks ok?

Also, what's the weather like in November, do you know?

Thanks again to you both
Pam
Hi Pam,

I can't say what the weather is like in November. Strangely enough we were going to Goa in November, but the visa situation at the time made it a non-starter. I'm sure that John can advise on this.

Janet and I were fans of the Greek Islands for years (20 odd!!!), especially Paros in the Cyclades. If you can think of Greece 20 years ago - great quiet beaches, cheap food, relaxation and welcoming people - then you will love Goa. Bogmalo is probably an excellent choice.

The beach shacks, as found elsewhere, do not really exist at Bogmalo - Joets is probably the closest you will come (food excellent - the butter chicken is great). Mind you the 'restaurants' are all "shacks" - but thoroughly enjoyable. Eating out is a cinch -much easier (and better food) than some Greek Tavernas. You will love it.

We will be returning to Goa in March and will be popping in to Bogmalo (beach not hotel) and hopefully having a glass or two with John. Hopefully I can then give you an update.

In the meantime I have loaded a couple of shots of Bogmalo Beach (from the hotel room) and Joets (from the beach) on the web.

http://www.teambruce.eclipse.co.uk/Pix/Bogmalo.JPG

http://www.teambruce.eclipse.co.uk/Pix/joets.JPG

Enjoy (and see if you can spot Joets on the Bogmalo picture!)

Peter
Pete

Don't rave about Bogmalo too much we are still trying to keep the resort a secret.We have been coming here or the last 12 years and it hasn't changed at all.So Mums the word ok...

John
Hi Pete and John

Thanks so much for your replies. I can't wait until November now, am really excited.

Pete - thanks for your info on eating out, I think we have made the right choice going b&b and the photos of the beach look absolutely stunning. Hope you have a wonderful time when you go back. Did you just fancy a change of scenery?

John - I think you are right to want to keep the place a secret. It looks fantastic. Do you have any tips on visiting the Taj Mahal, and also what the weather is like in November?

Thanks again.
Pam
Hi,

The weather in November is usualy fine,you can get a couple of rainy days but it normaly last a couple of hours at most.

As for visiting the Taj Mahal we have just arrived back from there today. so your best bet is to contact me a couple of months before you arrive and i can advise you better as we have excellent contacts.

John
Hi John,see you have just returned from the Taj we are going next week.
what was was the weather like?have been told its cold this time of the year
any help on what clothes are needed,there for 3nights then flying down to Goa
:sun2 thanks
ann
Hi, I shall be staying in the Chicolem area and was looking to spend some time at Bogmalo and Colva beach's. Would you know roughly the distances to these area's please?
Saggy
In was bloody freezing when we were there about 3 degrees at night,so you definitely need some warm clothes.

Do you mean Chicalim, if so it's only about 10 minutes to Bogmalo and about 25 minutes to Colva.

John
Thanks John,we are going to the Taj by train from Delhi was it a bit warmer in the
day :que
ann
It's ok during the day nice and warm about 22 degrees.

john
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.