Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
JKKne,

Please don't worry about the Dash-8-Q400. It's a perfectly safe aircraft and you won't have a problem. There was a problem with the bearings on the landing gear and a few problems with the locking of landing gears, but these issues have been resolved by the manufacturer. I believe in some cases, investigations pointed the finger towards inadequate inspection / maintenance rather than a mechanical problem. You'll find a statement here from Flybe after concerns were raised and SAS (who sparked the issue) pulled the type from their fleet. Flybe operate a modern and young fleet of Q400's and I'd step on one tomorrow without hessitation (will be flying with them on 8th June). This type is indeed a turboprop; a turbine powered propeller aircraft. As you say, if you search for issues with an aircraft type, you'll find problems with pretty much every single one. Aircraft are very complex machines so they are bound to have problems from time to time. You'll find cars have far more problems than aircraft; I once had 3 manufacturer recalls with a new car within 12 months of getting it!. Rest assured; the flight crew are highly trained and can handle pretty much anything that can be thrown at them. They spend months / years in simulators and training so are prepared in case anything happens. Remember they are onboard the aircraft too so it's in their interest to make sure the aircraft is 100% servicable before starting the engines. If they are unhappy about anything, even a blown lightbulb, they won't put passengers or crew at risk. Overall, Flybe and their predecessors have a pretty good safety record. You're in safe hands, just sit back and enjoy the flight on the Q400.

Refer to our fear of flying thread for further information.

Darren
You'll find on the Q400 that its has two mighty engines under the wings that are alot more impressive looking than jets. I've flown on them many times on a twice weekly basis and still quite happy to do so.
Have been on the Dash 8 Q400 a number of occasions and as darren and sunbear says its a fine aeroplane.

In fact you will also be surprised with the leg room - quite roomy compared to jets...(and while I cannot speak for Flybe - the service is usually better on aeroplanes of that size).

Nivsy
We normally fly jet aircraft (as most do though I believe the Q400 may be turboprop anyway?)

em interesting. a turbo prop is a jet engine with prop assistance as opposed to a turbine thrust engine so they are both forms of jet....
Thanks for all the replies

Ah, Wizard, I meant I was trying to re-assure the wife that it wasn't just a propelled aircraft
Wizard HT Mod wrote:
a turbo prop is a jet engine with prop assistance as opposed to a turbine thrust engine

The turbine in a turboprop doesn't provide any thrust to the aircraft; it only provides power to drive the propellor and ancillary equipment. The propellors drive the aircraft. The turbine on a turbine powered (jet) aircraft provides thrust to power the aircraft as well as bleed air for ancillary equipment.

Darren
Great little planes. Flown into Belfast on many an occasion from Glasgow. Very comfy. I was actually booked to fly to Norwich when they grounded then in Sept 07 due to the landing gear. Simply moved my flight to the day before on the same plane as it was that safe and no real worries.
Given Belfast's economic links with Bombardier Aerospace it would be rude to arrive on anything else !

I've flown a few times on them and like them, they load/unload quickly because of their smaller size and shorter steps.

And 2 engines is 2 engines - fan or prop - and from Newcastle to Belfast you haven't time for much to go wrong.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.