Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
bombs in dahab
121 Posts
Due to go to Sharm in 43 days, im still going these people will NEVER get the better of me, this is just the reaction they wanted, scare people off and the only people that suffer are the locals.

People just need to be on there guard and keep an eye out for suspect packages.

My thoughts go out to the people injured and their familes.

Ron
we have been planning to go to Egypt in possibly Sept for Rob to try diving at Sharm. We will go if we can get time off work and i would say to every decent citizen everywhere, never let these cowardly low lifes put you off travel.....
Hi good news, my lot our safe I eventually got through to the hotel, they are going to finish their holiday but did have the option to come home. they were in sharm when it happened. thanks for all your support.

Regards from a very happy Arl :D
Cant believe this, this morning i sent a e-mail to one of the staff at the Three Corners to say thank you and then thought i would post here and tell people what a great time i had, im gutted for these people, i also ate at the resturant that was in the news clip, my thoughts are with those great people :(
Amaa - I'm the same as you, we are due to go to Sharm El Sheikh in July for the first time. I was already a bit wary with the bombings last July but we decided to go ahead and book the holiday. Now we're really worried. Dont' know what to do. Don't want to let them win but at the same time, I also don't want to be blown up.

I am in two minds whether to phone First Choice and ask if we can possibly change our holiday destination but I'm guessing that we wouldn't be able to do that. Will wait and see what hubby thinks later today.

My heart goes out to those injured/killed in the bombings and also to their families.
Hi We have just booked to return for our third time, we went for the first time last August a month after the July bomb in Sharm it didnt put us off then and we returned to Sharm in October, we are now going on the 6th July, the Egyptian people were so happy to see us and had posters everywhere saying WE ARE A PEACEFUL COUNTRY WE HATE WHAT IS HAPPENING, these are unfortunately the times we are living in and these are not ordinary people doing this they are MADMEN, it is all over the world and so sad for our children.

My heart goes out to all the people involved in this terrible terrible act and only hope they can find the strength to move on
Like Charlie & Amaa, I'm going to Sharm in 5 weeks time and I'm worried. We booked last September and were really looking forward to it until yesterday. I've checked the FCO website and they haven't said not to travel to Egypt. Not going to cancel because we'll lose 50% of what we've paid, Egyptians and their economy need tourism more than ever and I have to keep reminding myself that security will be tightened. I'm guessing excursions may be limited due to safety and we may not have as good a time as hoped. Also concerned about another attack. I'm just thinking of a plan b in case the holiday is cancelled and keeping an eye on the FCO website.

Back in 2001, we were due to go to Sri Lanka (Negombo) then 5 weeks before we were due to go, there were terrorist attacks at the airport. The tour operator cancelled our holiday and we went on to have an even better one in Dominican Republic (despite flying home on Sept 11).
Morning everyone. Yes what shocking news. I am due to travel to Sharm el Sheikh next Thursday 4 May. Staying at Coral Sea Resort. Based on anyone's experience, do you think it is ok to go, ie it should be safer based on theory that they shouldn't strike so close twice? I am soooo looking forward to this trip and really want to go, but at same time no point opening yourself up to unnecessary risk. Way I see it is I live in Central London and we live with threat of terrorism every day. Just makes you more wary. What does anyone think? I should just go ahead as planned and try not to think about? thanks all.
hi, going to taba on the 9th may got tickets already, any 1 else a bit concerned about this recent situation that has happened in Dahab yesturday 24/004/06, are people thinking of still going (to the taba area)or are people thinking of canceling? has any 1 contacted there tour opertator or had any advice from them etc?
Still really want to go but need a little advice first or info before i make my final decision.
any info would be great.
thanks
dont let the terrorists make your decisions, you have to make it yourself.

it happens all over the world.

please think about it before you act.
Hi everyone
We were in Sharm in July last year when the last terrorist attack happened. We didn't let it affect our holiday although we did stay on the resort perhaps a bit more than we would have if it hadnt happened.
We have booked to go again on 27th July this year , staying at the Coral Sea Resort and I must admit that I do feel nervous about going.
I don't want to give in but I echo charlie's comments, I don't want to be blown up either.
We are taking my husbands parents with us this time and we want to be able to go into Naama Bay, but not sure whether we will feel that we have to stay put in the hotel to minimise any risks.
I too am in two minds whether to ring First Choice and request a destination change, don't think that they can really deny this given the current circumstances.
Will think about it a bit more because half of me is annoyed with myself for letting these idiots win, but on other hand I want us all to be safe.
Our thoughts and love goes to all.
For all those feeling the same way I do and travelling with First Choice - I called them this morning and they advised contacted their Tour Operator on my behalf. The Foreign Office are saying it's still OK to travel, however, if I wanted to change destination it would be £20 per person. I need to let them know ASAP.

Oh, I really do not know what to do. I know this kind of thing could happen anywhere nowadays but the fact that it's happened in Egypt twice in less than a year makes me very nervous.

Egypt was the only place I fancied holidaying this year though. If I don't go there - I can't think of anyhwere else I want to go. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to get my money back if I cancelled. :-(
Any 1 going to taba in may? are you still thinking of going after this incident. still really want to go but still unsure.
any info
thanks
this is soooooooooo frustrating. think everyone who has planned a Red Sea visit in the next 2 weeks or so is waiting for someone to say "yes I'm definitely still going to go" to reassure them! I'm due in Sharm el Sheikh next Thursday. Really don't know what to do - go ahead; or change destination; or cancel. I booked through Eclipse Direct (part of 1st Choice). they are telling me that it's not possible to change destination and if I cancel I will lose 90% of my payment!!!!!!!!!!! and i have paid in full. To be honest I really want to go. I can't believe they would strike again so soon. Apparently Foreign Office is going to issue an advice statement around lunchtime? Let's see what happens. Good luck to everyone who is deciding what to do . . .
Just got back from sharm on sunday and wanted to add my condolences to all those affected by what has happened,
I must say that whilst staying at our hotel (Calimera Royal Moderna) which was in nabq bay, out of sharm airport and turn right to the very last hotel in resort , we all felt impressed with the current security measures both in the hotel and in naama bay shopping area.
The hotels generally all have closed entrance gates which are manned by security guards, once passed these there is again generally a fair drive up to the hotel itself, again the entrance to the hotel is guarded by security staff and most have walk through metal detectors and at all times (24hrs) many security staff patrolling the grounds and accomodations.
The road in and around naama bay has numerous road blocks with armed guards, that stop every vehicle going in and out of naama and thoroughly check the vehicles and the occupants.
It may be cold comfort for those just going to sharm and easy for me to say but in sharm and nabq I did feel reassured that in our area all posiible security meassures were in place and difficult to breach.
We had a most wonderful two week holiday that,s me, my wife and two daughters aged 9 + 4, it was our first time and rest assured we will be returning next easter!
I hope this message brings some comfort to those visiting the sharm / namma bay area soon.
Can I just add.........

The b****ards bombed the London underground system last year but people STILL travel by train and they STILL visit London! These incidents are very very sad but the are also isolated........
I say......go on your holiday and have fun! Yes be cautious but PLEASE dont let them win!!!!!!!!

(my opinion.....)
Im of to Cario on tuesday 2nd may......

im very nervous about going, but still going.
We are going in July and NO ONE will stop me. Those cowards especially!
Its a really hard decision. We got back from Sharm last Thursday and on Tuesday last week went to Dahab and ate in one of the sea food restaurants, we had been to St Catherines monastery as well. There is a lot of security aorund and you go through road checks all the time. Around Sharm it is particularly strict and they use mirrors to check underneath cars etc. It will I am sure tighten more around Dahab now.

The security around us last week I have to say made me feel safe and I think I would still feel this, there are terrorists everywhere now.

We went with our 2 teenage duaghters and as we watched this unfold last night we were all in tears, but we are still booking to go back to Sharm, it is a wonderful place, and we are as a family not going to let terrorism beat us. But as everybody says it has to be an individual decision.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.