Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
We also got a good deal to Sri Lanka (2nd visit) last month and like yourself booked our trip through Mercury. We thoroughly enjoyed it and have booked again with them to return September. Have a good holiday.
Im off to Sri Lanka on the 3rd of Sept... also with Mercury Direct :)
Could one of you lovely people please write a report on your trip to Sri Lanka..Where is the best place to go for closeness to a town and a bit of life outside of your hotel?
:cheers
yes it would be great to hear some reports. I keep looking at Sri Lanka but am put off with hotels which dont seem to have a lot around them. I would just like a couple of options outwith the hotel complex.
Bit busy at the moment Fiona but will give it my full attention as soon as I am able.By the way I am aware you have been to Goa and I can tell you Sri Lanka is very different.

Will try to post something tomorow.

Papa
dont rush Papa- I know how it is when you get back from holiday :)
Oh papa you have me interested even more now you said that Sri Lanka is so different to Goa...

Fiona you thoughts are on the same wave length as mine.
Me and the OH have been to Sri Lanka twice and thoroughly enjoyed it on both occasions. We stayed at the Taj Exotica in Bentota. The location of the hotel made it possible to walk into the nearby town of Aluthgama and Bentota. There were various restaurants to eat at, and bars to drink at! all within walking distance. We never found anyone that was really pushy, it was easy to get a tuk tuk to where ever you wanted and once the other drivers knew who you had used they would never try to poach you away from your driver. We arrived at the railway station one evening and a tuk tuk driver made a beeline for us and then realised who we were, and he said 'sorry, you are Nanda's customers' and would not take us. We caught the train to Columbo and it was a great experience, it cost about 35p each way!! for a two hour ride. The track runs mostly along the coast (this was before theTsunami) and it was really enjoyable talking to the local people on the train. There are quite a few places to visit in the area but obviously you have to do your homework, one place we visited was 'Brief Gardens' again this involved going by Tuk Tuk and then onto some waterfalls, Nanda, our drier then took his to his home for tea! We also went down to a hotel, opposite the Triton, to ride their elephant and play in her pool with her, our Tuk Tuk driver found this for us as elephants are my passion. I would recommend Bentota and there are about 5 or 6 hotels on the beach so enough choice. Gill
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.