DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Did it work out cheaper for you Danny ?

Kath x
Hi Kath
I looked in to doing it with an agent but it was more expensive.
It was cheaper to book it DIY saved about £150 just with out the middle man :lol:

Danny :D
That's good news, hope you have a lovely time. Quite liberating booking your own and doing your own thing. :D
Well done Danny. I did my first one for our main two week holiday last summer as it was a family of 4 I was really worried, not wanting to let people down etc.

After I had been on it I just couldn't understand why I hadn't done it before. Trouble is its a bit addictive. LOL.

Have a great holiday. :D
me too ! we did our first d.i.y to the algarve 2 years ago and I was bricking it ! from turning up at the airport with just a confirmation number for our flights ( which I have'nt needed to show yet ) to taking a printout from the old computer to show the hotel receptionist ( who never looked at the details ) to getting in a taxi after years of having to wait absolutely ages for lost people to get on the coach and spending hours dropping people off at various hotels !
We have now ventured into renting private apartments for our holidays, oh, the space, home from home privacy and sooo much cheaper as we only pay per week not per person, so, farewell to under occupancy daft rules !
And we can choose what time we fly ! halalugha to d.i.y !
Well said Juby 5- I completely echo your remarks, as a family of 4, I have been booking DIY for around 3 years now , and always compare against operator prices (just in case)and always come out cheaper, with better accommodation and much better flights.
Hi Danny

I'm sure it will all go excellently!

We did our first DIY last year, saved a packet and had a brilliant holiday. Have done DIY again for this August and saved a staggering £500 on Direct Holidays price. :)

I think as long as you do your research on this site, you can't go far wrong.

Have a super holiday :)

Best Regards

Elaine :fly
;) Thanks Elaine Im back to Benidorm in August too... unfortunatly I was too chicken to do it online last year for August but now I have done for March well who knows.... :duh

Will let you know how everything gose

Danny :)
Please Danny don't forget to add adequate travel insurance to your DIY holiday. Hope you have a great time.
Hi

We booked our first diy holiday four years ago and were worried we'd get there and it would all go wrong.

It could n't of been better the private apartment was lovely,the resort great and we saved a lot of money.It is the only way we'd do it now.

Some apartment owners will help you with car hire ,transfers and flights.

My advise would be have a go it's amazing what you can save.
Five of our last 6 holidays have been DIY. It would have to be a really good deal for us to even contemplate using an agent. Other than the usual delays at airport - no problems whatsoever. haven't needed a rep for anything.
I have just booked our 1st totally diy holiday and can't believe how much money we've saved!

We always used to go during term time as we couldn't afford holiday periods but we couldn't do that this time as my eldest has just started 1st teaching job (hard to beleive!) so is restricted to school holidays. She spent the last 2 years working hard towards this goal and hasn't had a 'proper' holiday in that time, son is due to Uni next year so we decided we'd all go together and make this holiday special as it would probably be the last.
Then we looked at the brochure prices :duh
I started to do some research, did some sums and the decision was made, we've got 2 weeks in a wonderful villa with a private pool and flights for less than it would've cost for a weeks' sc with a tour operator!
The only extra yet to book is car hire, but we usually do that anyway so it's really not an 'extra'.

The only thing I'm a bit nervous of is not having a rep to call upon but they seem to be getting to be a rare sighting these days so probably won't notice any difference! Plus we're going to an area of spain well populated with Brits so am sure there'll be plenty of advice around.

Just over 6 weeks to go and I can't wait!
Sal-ad-daze, there is nothing to stop you from booking an excursion with a UK holiday company through their reps if that is what floats your boat! You don't have to have taken a holiday with that company, and for each sale, the rep is delighted to take your commission and boost his/her targets!!

Well done on all your hard work, and have a great time!
Thanks Alsacienne,

Holiday company trips are the furthers thing from my mind - with a hire car you make your own itinerary and don't pay through the nose for the pleasure! ;)

No actually, my mum-in-law passed away whilst on holiday a number of years ago and whilst it took us forever to get the on call rep to the hospital, it was comforting to have her there. I guess something like that just stays in the back of your mind and never goes away. That's why I've booked somewhere that's known as 'little England' for our first foray alone.
Mind you, daughter wants to try Turkey next time!!!!!!!!
Everyone thinks Diy is great but as soon as it all goes wrong they start to moan.
Give me a chance - I haven't got there yet!
No I know ;) , I just hope you're not predicting the future :-?
THIS is how I'm going to remember my DIY holiday :sun2 !
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.