Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Pat,

Possibly not a good idea.
I think you would find that most of the rooms are allocated to travel companies, and if any are available they are likely to be expensive when compared to the cost of a package holiday.

Peter
Thanks Peter

I dont really do packages anymore....they are fine if you are a couple or a family, but as a single traveller I find the single supplements they try to charge you truely extortionate. I find the DIY option must cheaper and offers more freedom in trms of choice of hotels and flights.

This time when Im in GS I am going to ask at a few hotels how much they charge for a room at reception to get an idea of if booking when you get there is viable. I will report back when I know.

Pat
Hi Pat,

Please do report back, it's a question that's come up before.

Peter
Hi to both Peter and Pat,
I have always used the Balkan Spice of life where there has been no single supplement, but due to the knowledge of my hotel being demolished, I had a look round the resort of Albena in June and came up with another hotel, visited same and was shown rooms being allocated to Balkan travellers. To book 2 weeks came to £477.30. Kave been on web and Have got the Hotel separately for £246.14 first week June and flight with B.A. for £74.10 total £320.24 plus £30 for return transfer. savings of nearly £130. Cheers. Tonyt
Hi,

I will do this in sept. this year. Not to GS, but SB. I have allready booked my flight, and I have called several hotels and asked for prices and awaialbility.
We are going sept. 9th and I have to wait untill end of august to book a room. I would not do this in the middle of the season, but in the end it is ok. There should not be a problem getting a room in the middle of the season, but you cant pick from the top shelf then.

It will be a new experience for me and if everything goes well its the end of ordering package-holidays for me. One week for two persons will cost us 3000 Norwegian (£260)
Hi Pat.

I visited GS last year with a friend. We drove there from Thessaloniki Greece on August 12th not having booked a room.
We wandered around for a couple of hours asking for room rates. Most of the hotels are dealing exclusively with European travel agencies , and we were told that there were no rooms available , but they wouldn't rent us one anyway even if they had any vacancies , cause they were into some kind of "exclusive deal".

We were looking at hotels along the beach and ended up in Admiral Hotel , a luxurious 5 star (be sure , all five stars were there) , located in the heart of GS , right on the beach. The rate was 150 € for a double room (B+B) , but finally decided to get 2 single rooms for about 100 € / per room / per night.

I don't know what your budget is , but Admiral hotel is excellent. The rooms are huge and luxurious , with enormous French beds , great marble bathrooms , satellite TV , mini bar , etc . The service was way above many European hotels I've been to and the breakfast buffet was absolutely fantastic. There's also a pool and the beach is about 20 m (just across the street) .

It was certainly value for money, I would recommend it without a doubt.
Try this link: http://www.goldensands.bg/admiral

I was thinking of going back this year , so I looked for the hotel card I've been given on departure , only to find out that reservations are handled through an agency .
A very friendly rep returned my e-mail on May 3rd apologizing because "Admiral Hotel still can not confirm bookings for the summer", suggesting another hotel (from which I suppose they are getting a better commission"¦)

On May 24th I sent another e-mail with the same request to receive another apology because "Admiral Hotel is fully booked on the dates you requested" , but "would be vary happy to help me book rooms in other hotels""¦

So , the hotel I walked in and booked a room during high season last year was fully booked within 20 days (May 3rd to May 24th) this year

I've decided to visit Tunisia this year anyway , so I didn't really care calling the hotel and informing them about it, but I'm sure the will have available rooms if you decide to go there.

If you think Admiral is too expensive and decide to look elsewhere , try to avoid party street , or you won't be able to get much sleep , even during daytime.

Have the greatest holiday .
If you need any more information , I will be available till tomorrow night (I'm flying to Tunisia on Sunday).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.