Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
will look out for that one Lassi.......have only just read Holy Cow...bought it about 3 or so years ago but it was brilliant!! really made me laugh
chilly
I got White Tiger before going to Goa in November but did not get time to read it. Sounds like its a goodun so I'll take it with me in March and make a start.

lassigirl wrote:
The latest book from Vikas Swarup Author of Q & A is also a good read Six Suspects " all deaths are not equal"

I liked Q & A so I think this new one will be a "too buy" at Gatwick - I have 3 weeks this time so more time to relax and read!
Masala Moments - Dorothee Lang - http://www.blueprint21.de/mminfo.htm
A travel novel, June leaves freezing cold Germany for the warmth of India, and finds much more than she expected, I enjoyed it.
x lassi
In previous years there have been loads of Indian Books in the 2nd hand book shops in Baga , the lady lets you browse for ages ...fantastic prices and good prices given when book returned ...its amazing how many you can get through in 3 weeks [sorry for a bit off topic] :D
Thanks maxsmum - It's always good to hear of places, where you can buy, or exchange books in Goa :tup
x lassi
time this one was brought back- just in time for Goa holidays :D
Has anyone got a recommendation for the latest "must read"? Fizz
Tivolem by Victor Rangel-Ribeiro

Very gentle book on village life set in Goa.

'Marie-Santana becomes attracted to her neighbour, the violinist Simon Fernandes. But village gossip, and question regarding a former fiance, threaten the lovers, reminding them that they too - like the village - are inexorably tied to their past.

Filled with tatalilzing, lush detail and gentle humour, Tivolem is an engrossing novel that transports readers to a very memorable place and time.'

It IS a Penquin Book..but we bought ours a few years back now at the bookshop in Calangute by the old football pitch.

;) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tivolem-Victor-Rangel-Ribeiro/dp/1571310193
I found Tivolem in Goa, thanks to your recommendation in 2007 Betty, and found it fasinating. A very good read for anyone wondering what Goa used to be like.
xx lassi
Thanks Lassi and Betty, sounds interesting so will make a note of this one.

Fizz
Don't know if there is a latest must read, but I'll be reading this one - Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra
" Bursts at the seams with SEX, violence, corruption and death" Daily Telegraph
It's a big book over 900 pages and heavy, so one to look out for on the beach, if the've managed to put it together.

A Son of the Circus - John Irving - Irving combines Indian circus dwarfs, Twins separated at birth, a transexual killer, and a question of cultural idendity, ideology and religious faith, with great skill. I found it both funny and sad and very engrossing.

Iv'e never read any of her books, but Shobha De - Bollywood Nights - and others on similar lines , is a very well known indian author, said to be the Indian Jackie Collins.

xx lassi
I've just ordered Tivolem by Victor Rangel-Ribeiro from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it.
Just read a review about this book sounds good:

This book has made it to the Intrepid Express readers' top five, and Jenny Stanbury explains why Shantaram is a backpack favourite...
"This semi-autobiographical book tells the story of the authors break from a Melbourne prison in Australia and escape to New Zealand, followed by India, where much of the novel is set. In India he lives in the slums of Mumbai and opens a medical clinic. After a harrowing experience of getting caught and spending time in an Indian prison he becomes involved with the local mafia.
The novel is much greater than a prison break story. It is a novel embellished with all of the human emotional traits: love, hate, friendship, enemies, life and death. Full of jail-house philosophy, human frailty and resilience, Sufi wisdom and street-fighting tactics, Shantaram is inspiring, hair-raising and poignant. This warts-and-all Indian epic details the myriad struggles, triumphs, heartbreaks and joys of life in India.
One of the best books I have ever read - and you can visit Gregory at Leopolds in Mumbai, where I believe he hangs out daily!"
Best book i have read too.The sort of book you can read more than once. Either cried with laughter or with emotion! :tup
I'll be looking out for this one - Edge of Faith - by - Prabuddaha Dasgupti with text by William Dalrymple, a photographic book about a Goa that is soon to be lost.
There is a review on goanvoice

xx lassi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.