Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Not Borneo but peninsular Malaysia in Taman Negara leeches were about although we took no particular precautions. One of our party did manage to get one attached to a certain area of his body which I won't mention in poilite company. But then we had been swimming and sunbathing near a waterfall.
Leeches are no particular hassle or issue. The worst thing you can do is brush them off with your hand as whatever they have inserted into you stays causing loads of (non-painful!) bleeding. As opposed to useless, overpaid lotions you buy over here, my recommendations are:

Tight underwear, with no holes (yes I have found them in my never regions before!).

Long socks for trekking, with some mossie repellent at the top.

A cigarette lighter to burn them off with.

They don't hurt, don't forget to take a piccie when you do get one as a souvenir!
Thanks for the advise, going to get the longs socks as a precaution!! Has anyone seen any snakes whilst at a hotel in borneo or in the jungle, we saw one in Thailand but it was not much bigger than a worm, my husband doesn't like them but is also fasinated by them!
Seen a few snakes. In Borneo a green one in the Casurina trees near our sunbed on Palau Manakan. Also seen Pythons in Taman Negara and little snake on sunbed in Kuantan.
Wow I am hoping we only see them from afar! when we were in Thailand we used to here alot of noise at night above our bed other side of the ceiling one night slighty tipsy my husband decided to lift the attic hatch that was above our bath to see if he could see what was making the noise it was pitch black and as he peaked his head through we just heard this hissing noise my husband jumped and fell into the bath very funny at the time! some time later we were watching a snake program and the noise was just the same it wasn't the brightest thing to do!! the perils of alcohol! :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.