Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Borneo Trips
16 Posts
hi Laura and welcome to HT :D We had a recent report which you might find interesting-Daley's report Hopefully this covers some of the places you are going to see. I'm sure others will answer with the practicalities of the tour.
For some "must dos" for KL have a look here
Thanks Fiona, Daleys report was very useful but if anyone does have any practical advice on what to take on the tour etc, that would be great,
Hi

We just returned from a 19 night tour of Borneo. You definately need waterproof clothes (preferabally full length, not just jackets) as we got soaked, walking boots, insect repellant, backpack, water bottle.
how did it go Stacey? Did you have a great holiday?
It was the best holiday I've EVER had!!!! The people were lovely, the hotels & lodges were great, we saw some wonderful wildlife & I did things I NEVER thought I'd do. I'm scared of heights but you couldn't stop me doing the canopy walks & the climbing up ridges to get to some beautiful view points.

I don't think I'll ever do a beach holiday again!!!!
Hi Stacey,
Thanks for the advice, it will be very useful! glad you had a great time, I am so excited only 11 weeks to go! Can you let me know if you covered up in the jungle? (arms and legs etc) did you get bit much? did you need a mosquito net for the bed at night? I have got to buy my malaria tablets yet rather be safe than sorry! and also did you see any snakes my husband does not like them, but is fascinated by them!! :yikes sorry lots of questions, i have not done this type of holiday before either and want to be prepared :D
When we did our rainforest walks I wore combats and long sleeved tops, but that's only because the mossies love me. Got a few bites but not as many as I thought I'd get. It's just coming into monsoon season so it will be very wet when you go, which means more mosquitoes. I also got bitten by sand flies on the beach at turtle island.

We didn't take a net as the lodges we stayed in supplied those plug in things, but it depends on where you are staying.

We saw a couple of snakes but they were either in the river or curled up asleep in the trees.

Where are you going/staying? Batang Ai?
hi,
we are staying 3 days at he equatorial in KL then the tour takes us to a chalet on turtle island, the Kinabatangan riverside Lodge, and we stay about 7 nights at the magellen sutera in Kota Kinabalu, hoping to go on the north borneo railway, the mossies and sand flies like me to so i will cover as best I can :)
We stayed in all 3 of those places. Turtle island is VERY basic with only water warmed by the sun during the day and you can't swim in the sea there at the moment as it's jellyfish season. A few people in our group got stung but wasn't too bad.

There were quite a few people there the night we stayed so there was a lot of jossling about the see the turtle laying her eggs and you can't use flash on your camera.

Kinabatangan was FANTASTIC!!!! The best bit was when we did an afternoon river cruise and saw hundreds of proboscis monkeys. We also saw a wild orangutan. This is where we saw the snakes, you also get snakes at the lodge but we didn't see any. For dinner they like everyone (men included) to wear a sarong, which is provided in your room. They show videos before & after dinner. Whilst we were there the prime ministers wife visited so they laid on a big party which was brilliant. Although my shoes got stolen!!!

The Magella Sutera is out of this world. The rooms are a lovely size & the bath is brilliant. There are shutters in the bathroom wall so you can sit on the loo & watch TV!!!! Drinks are quite expensive here but the food is reasonable. You can go to town in a taxi for 10MR (about £1.37) and there are loads of restaurants to eat in. Check out the spa too. We had a Yin Yang massage which was lovely. Also, if you plan on eating in the Italian restaurant (Ferdinand's) take closed toe shoes with you. They don't allow sandals or flip flops to be worn. The rack of lamb & the beef tenderloin were delicious.

In Al Fresco there's a wandering band which do requests. The guy with the pony tail does a brilliant rendition of Stevie Wonder!!!!

As you can tell from my ramblings, we had an absolute fantastic time and I'm sure you will too.
Oh and the Railway was closed for refurbishments. Not sure if it will be up & running when you get there.
stacey
sounds like an amazing holiday. Not sure if I could handle though as I hate heights( if I have to climb them! Not bothered if I can get transport up :lol: )
OMG Stacey it sounds fantastic - any chance of a full trip report?
it sounds fantastic, i am really excited now! thanks for all the info, I will definatly need photographic evidence of my husband in the sarong!!
Trip report coming up in a seperate thread
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.