Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Another question from me!

Anyone know what you get in terms of amenity pack in BA World Traveller? Used to having to take my own blanket/pillow/headphone & headphone jack with thomson, but not sure what you get with BA?

Many thanks

Lisa
You will get all of the things you mentioned. Normally you will get an additional pack containing pen,socks,earbuds,eyeshades, toothbrush and toothpaste. BA are known on occasion to have a shortage of the amenity packs but the items you mentioned are standard.

Judith
Thanks Judith....don't suppose you know heand baggage weight limit do you? It states the size on their website but not the weight. I am guessing the general rule is 'within reason'??

Thanks

Lisa
LisaMJ,

BA's don't stipulate an actual weight. The bag must be no larger than 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in), and you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker by yourself. The dimensions are relatively small so it'll not be more than about 5-7kg in reality unless you fill it with lead!

Darren
Lisa

Darren is being very conservative with how much will fit in to the approved size case. I travelled a couple of weeks ago with hand luggage only, my case being the size he stated and it weighed 12kilos, he is of course correct about the fact that there isn't a weight limit so it's totally up to you. Just don't injure you back lifting the case :( .
Judith / Lisa,

It obviously depends what you take and how you are travelling. If you are just taking hand luggage, then you'll probably pack more in to hand luggage than if you have hold luggage as well. There are weight limits for what can be taken onboard aircraft and the overhead bins have strict weight limits. You'll probably notice them when you open them up, it's normally on plate either on the inside, next to the catch or on the bulkhead. It ranges from 30-75kg. Each storage bin would have an average of 6 passengers contents to hold so if everyone brought say 10kg with them, you may be struggling on the smaller types. It's a calculated risk based on clientel. Airlines will assume an average per passenger and base bag size on the average contents and weights, otherwise you'd have so much baggage in the cabin and overhead bins, the aircraft wouldn't get off the ground!

Darren
Thanks so much for your help. I usually struggle to keep it below 5kgs on budget airlines, so an extra few kgs will be great. Also means I can fill our sons hand luggage with more toys for the 10 hour flight!

Thanks

Lisa
Hi,
I have a question re a BA flight to New York, leaving LHR for Newark at 10.25am.
Will we be served breakfast & lunch, bearing in mind this is an 8 hour flight?
Also, does anyone know if the new WT+ cabin is being used on 777 flights to Newark?
Thanks in advance
Lady64
lady64,

You'll get a lunch and a snack about 90 minutes before you land. It won't be the new WT+ cabin as far as I know as these are on the 777-300/ER's at the moment, not the 777-200/ER's.

Darren
Thanks Darren, we'll have breakfast at the airport then.

Many thanks
Lady64
Reading through the previous posts in this section, I noticed some talk about a refurb to the interiors. Does anyone know if the BA 2159/8 LGW-POS has been refurbished, and what improvements this refurb makes?
Thanks

Lisa
LisaMJ,

As above, it is the new Boeing 777-300/ER's with the new interior, not the 777-200/ER's at the moment. Your flights won't have the new interior.

Darren
Errrrm,

Reading the the above posts i was assuming that the plane i'm travelling on would have the refurb....? My flight no is BA2037 to Orlando from Gatwick on 24/03/11 at 11.40am. I know it's a boeing 777 but not sure if it's a 200 or 300 series....? If it's not a 300 series what are the chances of the refurb on the 200's before i fly in March......?

Thank's as always.....

Ash.......! :D
barjiash,

Your flight is on a 777-200/ER so unlikely to be a reburbished aircraft.

Darren
As expected, BA cabin staff have voted in favour of further industrial action. Strike dates have still to be confirmed:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12247510

David :wave
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr !! Flying BA on 26th to India, fingers crossed ...
the chances of being affected on anything except short haul flights out of heathrow (normally uk/europe) during any industrial action by the cabin crew is almost nil.
ba have pledged to run all long haul flights out of heathrow, all flights out of gatwick and london city and most shorthaul flights from heathrow. they are very well organised this time, and if cabin crew go on strike then i am sure that the effects to passengers will be minimal. the last round of strikes did not affect nearly as many people as the union expected.
the union have not yet called strike dates, and have to give 7 days notice before they can strike.
Darren is being very conservative with how much will fit in to the approved size case.

That's what I like about BA. It's not that you always need more than 5/6 kilos of hand luggage, it's the fact that you don't have to worry about being overweight and can carry a handbag or laptop as well unlike some other airlines I could mention who seem to be trying to copy Mr O'Leary!
With regards to the vote to strike.....I know cabin crew have to give 7 days notice before they do so, but I also have read something about another rule involving 28 days...perhaps that they have to carry out the first strike within this time?? Sorry to be vague - just trying to find out the possibility of my flight being affected.

Thanks all
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.