Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:shock: Read this article in yesterdays Daily Mail...todays Mail though tells a different story. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=425984&in_page_id=1811
Even more unsettling is that I actually know this man on sight. as he only lives in the next street to us.
:shock: In UK is that?? I was wondering whereabouts in Goa he was actually staying! :?
What a very sad story ...I feel for his loved ones
Pam7,
I've been wondering too where he might have stayed in Goa. oh the story is not different... read the latest

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=VE9JTS8yMDA3LzAxLzA0I0FyMDAxMDE=&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Tourists_murder_Villagers_hindering_probe/articleshow/1042385.cms

Mumbai Police are supposed to be good... lets hope they find out the reason for this and catch the culprits
This is the 4th British murder case I have read about in goa now. I'm starting to feel very worried about going now. The thing is the people who have been killed dont even look to be getting involved with the wrong crowds. Myself and 3 friends are going to be very vigilant!!
Mardon just to let you know this case wasn't in Goa but about 90 miles South of Mumbai
It said that he was holidaying in Goa and rang home to say he was worried about two blokes he had met on the beach. It says in the 2nd post article.
I was really concerned when I read this. I've been going for years but have heard of a few dodgy goings on this year - bags snatched, break ins, but this is appauling. Cheltenham is up the road from where I live and a very nice place. Goa is definitely changing - think we all must be vigilant and not too trusting - some people are getting very greedy and a lot of out of staters coming in. :(
Sunset Cottages, Baga.

Article about it in todays Mail CLICK HERE
I think in this day and age you have to be careful where ever you are. A couple of months ago my brother returned from Orlando and declared that whilst he was there a murder had occured in the next town to where they were staying.We had been in Glasgow the previous weekend and my response was "There were three murders in Glasgow last weekend" I don't mean to minimise what happened (what ever the truth is) but just to put it into perspective. The least safe I have ever felt was walking late one night in London.
p.s. I think if you read any local/regional paper in the UK things can be pretty scary never mind reading the national papers.
That article is so sad.
We arrived on the same day at the same time so must have been in the airport with him, then also went up to Arpora but to the MD. The other half and I walked to the shop for fags/water on that first night from AllSpice and looked over at the Renton Manor for future reference.
Poor bloke sounds like he was in a right confused state and all on his own too. You just wish you would have noticed something wrong and been able to step in and help. Why didnt he ask somebody for assistance? Horrible lonely tale.
That story is so terrible Pam. Much more to this and the Indian authorities should get to the bottom of this, its disgraceful. His family need some sort of closure for their own peac of mind.
Tightjock, yes there are murders everywhere, all the time, and not just in places like Glasgow, London, Orlando etc, but everywhere even in very small sleepy villages. It just seems on a larger scale in a much larger city.
However, I dont think this is the issue here. What people are trying to get across is there is a massive cover up here by Indian authorities. Probably if this mans family were to visit the area and offer someone a big back hander they would soon find out the truth. Its about corruption and cover up etc etc, all the same stuff that happens in India every day of the week with every aspect of life. Now is seems that a persons life is meaningless in India. its just not good enough.
You think to avoid any possible effect on tourism they would sort this case out to their best ability and publicise the outcome.
Gemma33,

I agree. It seems that the Indian Police make assumptions that single male travelers are large scale drug couriers until given a bribe to investigate thoroughly. The difference in India is that if you are a westerner and need police help they may not do anything unless given 'baksheesh'. This is what makes this case a lot more different than any European murder case.
Ok this is a little scary. This is the 2nd killing where the renton manor has been involved. The other one the person was found dead at the manor. Now it turnes out that this guy was staying there WTF??? Guess where i'm staying.

I'll post the link if i'm aloud but its from another forum. Mods??
Mardon don`t worry you will be perfectly safe at the Renton Manor or anywhere in Goa for that matter. I remember you saying that there are 4 of you going ? Stick together, don`t get too drunk and keep your senses about you just the same as you would over here. I have travelled alone in Goa for a few months with no problems and stayed at the Renton Manor last year, again without problem.

Very strange goings on with this story, I sincerely hope the family gets the answers they deserve, but something in my head tells me that it will be a complete shambles :( and the Goan people will look bad from the outcome, but we know that the Goans will be as horrified at the goings on as we all are.
I stayed there last year and it was fine its just scary.

Not worried about the drinking as I pretty responsible when it comes to that and never get into too much of as state. Come to think of it as a group were all pretty good for not getting to drunk :D.

It does look bad on the goans as its a blatant cover up in both of the cases i've read about.
did you see the update on news tonight? seems the family think the truth lies on baga beach and that he did not wander into a village at all, they visited the village and spoke to the family involved ,,she was adamant that there son never came to her house,, seems other villages have been bribed to say he was there, scary stuff ,lets hope they get to the bottom of it , we are going in march in a group of 5 and we will be attached by the hip i think ,,no wandering off on our own like usual, sad really when we once felt so safe there,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.