Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
when and how long will the work be going on for?
Wow!

We just left there on 23rd May and there was no sign of any work then....

That was quick!

Cyprus100
Is this causing much disruption/noise etc? we are going in two weeks time!
I got this information from the luxor4u website:-

*Edit for copyright reasons please could you supply a link thanks Briar
SJ

I contacted the Manager (Mr Samir Azir) of the hotel as we are considering going back there in the near future.

He tells me - the work has already started & estimates it will be finished by 15 Sept. The work being done is all pre-fab steel construction. The interior will follow for completion - and no noise is anticipated from this. The current work is 9am - 9pm to speed up the work.

It sounds like they are doing their best to keep noise and inconvenience to a minimum and I suppose you have to bear in mind that the peak summer months are "low season" for Egypt. The temperatures are too hot for most people to consider travelling at this time of year. Hence, lower accommodation prices etc.

Regards
Cyprus100
*Edit for copyright reasons please provide a link Briar
Carol :wave

I think your post will be removed again due to copyright laws.

If you just add a URL link (the www address at the top of the relevant page) instead everybody will be able to read the information themselves.
Cheers Cyprus. We will not change hotel at this late date, but hope reports that it is well contained prove to be true. I read on the Luxor4u site that use of the Sheraton pool has been provided and courtesy mini bus. I hope the noise doesn't cause too much problem as we will be spending the afternoons around the pool to relax. We go 4th-11th July and I will post update of the works on my return.
Regards
sj
Hi SJ

How did you get on at the Sonesta St George in Luxor then?

Cyprus100
Will post holiday review later but building work update: We experienced problems on the second evening , it sounded like the roof was falling in, we were in rooms 327/329. There was a chute going down internal shaft next to our room. The hotel immediately showed us two other rooms 206/208 on public pool side of hotel, more on that later. These were fine but we later experienced problems from the work on this side too. Like vibrations and sometimes things crashing down from the pulley rigged up at side of hotel. I dont know if the rooms in that vicinity (middle of hotel) where occupied or not but it felt very unsafe standing on our balcony several rooms away. One of the managers John Khaliel said they were adding 3 more floors to give an extra 200 rooms! He said the work should be done within 6mths though I cant imagine that it could be done that quickly. There is no scaffolding or cranes in use only a cord and pulley. People sit over the sides at the top of the roof with no hard hats etc. The work is carried out from 9am-10pm every day. The managers did offer to change our second room too but we felt that there was little escape from the work. The noise will be experienced when you are in your rooms changing for the evening or if you are room bound with egyptian tummy as I was for a day. There is however hardly any noise from the work to be heard around the pool. The Sonesta is an excellent hotel and I would agree it is probably the best in Luxor. Thanks to cyprus and others for helping us choose this hotel.
sj
Aww SJ

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience on 2 counts (one being the dodgy tummy) :)

It's a shame, as the Sonesta is a really nice hotel and in a pretty good location. I'm pleased to hear you liked the hotel itself though, as I was certainly worried once I read the other posters report about the building work just before you were due to travel.

I hope you enjoyed Luxor?

I will look forward to reading your hotel review.

Regards
Cyprus100
Hi Cyprus,
Yes it was a pity but I'm sure the hotel will be even better when completed as its going to undergo complete refurbishment. I'm still suffering the effects of the heat and I stayed in the shade as much as possible apart from pool and sightseeing. I dont know how people can sunbathe at 50deg. I'm not as tough as I thought I was! Say hello to Debbie in the Lantern when you go again, she was a darling. We found the hassle and poverty to be harder than we thought and are now looking for a beach resort in late Oct on Red Sea. Will post seperately. Though cetainly glad we chose the Sonesta, and done the real Egypt!
Regards
sj
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.