Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Richard,

Bulgaria, like Spain, is quite a large country - there's much more to Spain than the 'Costas' just as there's much more to Bulgaria than the tourist resorts of Sunny Beach/Golden Sands, etc.

Not much history? How far back do you wish to go - Bronze Age/Iron Age? More recent history HEREor HERE?

Baldur
There are gold artifacts in the Varna Ethnographic which were made 6,500 years ago. Jason and Argonauts sailed along what is now the Bulgarian Black Sea coast, the Romans were comparative newcomers to the birthplace of Spartacus - Thrace, the lands later settled by the Bulgars.

How much history do you want, by comparison this fair city of Yorvik/Eboracum/York is positively brand new compared to Odessos (Varna) and Serdika (Sofia)?

See HERE

Peter
If I explain what we like as a couple, my girlfriend is very much into beautiful beaches, we have a restricted budget (hence why we're looking at st vlas) and she likes to do package holidays (she's new to the whole travelling front), but we also like a country where we can get wrapped up in there culture, and there is enough history/things to see! We like a lot of time to relax but also some time to search the country (or the immediate area), so to speak!!!

We don't like places where the Birtish go to get drunk :roll: But bearing in my mind we are quite a young couple!!
Hi Richard,

You should find this thread (3 pages) useful, particularly "bulgarienfan's" photographs of trips that he has made in Bulgaria.

Baldur
It's difficult to actually find Bulgarian culture in the resorts because they are purpose build for tourism and no one actually lives there, although St Vlas and Nessebur might be exceptions.

I would recommend being near to Varna with its museum and Roman baths, and it is major city where Bulgarians do live and work. You can also take advantage of some of the excursions, one in particular is to Veliko Turnovo, the ancient capital of Bulgaria.

A resort which is relatively refined is St Konstantin & St Elena, in older tourist guides it is Drouzhba meaning friendship. This was the first Black Sea resort dating from about 1947, and is in a woodland setting.

Peter
I would love to go to Varna my only problem being I can only fly from Bristol/Birmingham going with Thomson (hopefully), and they only fly to the Sunny Beach area from Birmingham/Bristol. Maybe I should try somewhere else!!
Also is Bulgaria joining the Euro scheme this year??
If anyone has stayed at the Diamond apartments please add your review by Clicking Here

Many Thanks.
They joined the EU Jan 1st but will not start to use the Euro for a couple of years at least.

Patka
Maybe I should try somewhere else!!

Or another travel company. The market leaders are Balkan Holidays

Peter
Hi Richard,

Balkan Holidays certainly fly to both the Varna & Burgas areas from East Midlands, Birmingham, Bristol & Cardiff airports, if you are restricted to that sort of catchment area for flights. Thomson also fly into Varna from East Midlands.

As Patka has said, it will be at least 2009 (possibly later) before Bulgaria can replace the Lev with the Euro as its national currency - acceding countries have to operate for a minimum of two years under the European Exchange Rate Mechanism successfully before being permitted to adopt the Euro.

Baldur
Good morning Richard. XL are also doing flights from Bristol to Varna
Tonyt
Thankyou all for your help so far, the reason I say I would like to fly with Thomson is due to the fact I have quite a fear of flying and it took me a while to 'trust' an airline, and I feel a lot more comfortable with Thomson Fly, I know it seems a tad pathetic, but it just makes me feel a bit secure!!
if it works for you holidayrich then who are we to knock it?
You might find this thread helpful.
Hello Richard!I saw this topic late i think but i was in Germany last week...Anyway,well i'm from St.Vlas:)Ask anything if you want to know...And yes,Bulgaria has really great hostory,i can show you my biiiiig history text books if you don't believe;)joking :P St.Vlas and Sunny Beach are really only tourist places and Sunny Beach is a great party place.Nessebar is deffinitely one beautiful historical place,Burgas also is a nice town(40 km far from Sunny beach).Well,that's for now.Byeee:)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.