General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Burns Day/Night
9 Posts
It's still celebrated up here in a big way, Glynis, and because it happily coincides with it being a Friday night there will be a great many people out at Burn's Suppers this evening. The format tends to be fairly standard and the following will give you a rough idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/robertburns/burns_night_running_order.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns_supper

But within that standard format they range from very formal black tie dinners to much more informal ceilidhs with a lot of the poetry reciting being dispensed with and a lot more Scottish dancing after the meal. By chance I won't be going to one tonight but would have had the choice of a black tie charity fundraiser linked to my job being held in a big city centre hotel which will have 100s there, a semi-formal one organised by one of the local small hotels, an informal one being held in the local pub and a very informal family one being held in the village hall. And if I was a man might well have also had an invite to one or more of the men only ones held by one of the many Feemason lodges in the area.

And of course that doesn't include all the Burn's 'suppers' that will be taking place in the schools (snow permitting) this afternoon and early evening.

So, yes, it is still a big deal up here - much haggis will be eaten and whiskey consumed up here this evening. :tup

SM
Yes indeed still very much alive up here, we will have our haggis in the station tonight, without the whisky of course :( nothing quite like a little dram of a good fine Malt.

Hmmm SM what is this :yikes
much haggis will be eaten and whiskey consumed up here this evening

A fine Scotch whisky will not be having an e in it thank you very much :D
As soon as I manage to work out how to turn off the 'predicative' spelling facility on the iPad it will be sorted! Not the first time it's happened without me noticing - guess the people at Apple prefer Irish to Scotch. :rofl But not me, believe me when I say that even though I'll be spending the evening at home I'll still be raising a glass of either Laphroaig (and you should see what the iPad offered for that!) or Dura to Rabbie tonight :tup

SM
  • Edited by SMa 2013-01-25 11:40:56
Our primary school has invited all the children to go in today wearing tartan and they will be reciting some Burns' poetry.
I am going to a friend's tonight for a pot luck supper and my contribution will be haggis spring rolls. I will also be making haggis, neeps and tatties for hubby and the kids.
All sounds great :tup I hope you all have a brilliant evening and no hangover in the morning :cheers
I like the idea of haggis spring rolls, might try them if there's any haggis left after tonight
Hi Glynis,

Ooops, didn't realise it was this weekend!! Must make Burns Night tomorrow ... haggis, neeps and tatties!!
Hi Pat :wave
D'ya know I think we have a haggis in our freezer and I bought turnip (swede is the real name but we call swede turnip here :lol:) so might have haggis, turnip and pots here too :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.