Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Buses
10 Posts
Welcome to HT :wave:

I'll be spending my first holiday in Malta in a few weeks (before the buses change to arriva) but I'm totally confused about how they work and how to get from A->B.

:D I am not surprised as it does appear a bit confusing, I will try and help out a bit.

Take a look at this route map
http://www.atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/ControllerServlet?action=listSummerBusRoutes
The most important thing to remember is that most routes start and finish in Valletta and once they reach their destination they follow roughly the same route back to Valletta mostly using the same route number. This is handy if you get lost as you can easily get back to Valletta and regain your bearings :tup

If you click on a particular route in the link above it will give you times and any bus number changes for the return journey.

For example the 27 starts in Valletta and goes out to Marsaxlokk via Tarxien and then returns on the same route back to Valletta, looking at the map you can see that it also passes through Paola, you have a choice of change of bus in Paola, look at the map and you will see that there is a choice of buses from Paola, bus numbers 1,2,3,4,8,18,19. 27, 427 & 627.

The map also show that Marsascala (look on right hand side of map) get bus numbers 17,19 & 20

Lets look at a simple example, you want to go by bus from Marsaxlokk to Marsascala

Take one of the buses from Marsaxlokk (27,427 or 627) which passes throught Paolo, you want to get to Marsacala and you can see that bus numbers 17,19 & 20 go there, looking at the map you can see that bus 19 also goes through Paolo, so you would take the bus from Marsaxlokk in to Paolo and then change bus on to the 19 in Paolo.

Is this the route map you have downloaded? http://www.atp.com.mt/atp/html/ATP_MAP.pdf

As I mentioned most buses start and finish in Valletta so you can also see a map of the terminus at the Triton Fountain on the above map.

There you go clear as mud :rofl

If you let me know which area you are staying I will provide an example route to a destination for you.

Grahm
Hi,

Thanks for your indepth reply, I appreciate it :)
I will be staying in the Mellieha area.

As an example I will be visiting Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum so I would assume from your guide that this would be the bus route to take :-

From Mellieha to Valetta one of the following busses :- 43, 44, 45, 145

The Hal Saflieni Hypogeum is located in Paola so using that guide the best bet would be to catch the :- 15, 29, 30, 115 to Paola Hypogeum but it would also be possible to get these as they go to the Paola area also :- 1-6, 18-20

I'll be visiting in may so will this "16th June to 30th September" be very similar for May?

I think this link you've given me is invaluable and I appreciate your help so far :) Hopefully I worked out Mellieha to Hypogeum correctly but would appreciate if you could correct me if wrong :)
I'll be visiting in may so will this "16th June to 30th September" be very similar for May?

On a further note, I guess I would be safer using this "winter" bus route, right?

atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/ControllerServlet?action=listWinterBusRoutes
That is all correct :tup you can also get the 427 which will take you there, when visiting Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum be sure to walk along and take a look at The Tarxien Temples, only about 10 minutes stroll from the Hypogeum.

If getting the bus in to Paola and it only goes as far as the square (look for the tree lined area in the middle of the road with small cafes) when you get off the bus look for the brown coloured signs indicating what direction to go, as a guide start walking all the way up the hill of the street you are on and when it levels out you will find the Hypogeum on the 3rd or 4th? street on the right, will only take about 5 minutes or so, it is easy to miss even when standing beside it, again look for the brown signs.

If you do a Google map search for Paola / Hypogeum you will get a good idea of the location, buses that go to Paola stop at Pjazza A De Paule.

The Tarxien Temples are located over to your left as you reach the top of the hill and again are sign posted, if you get lost just ask as nearly everybody speaks good English.

Have you pre booked your tickets for the Hypogeum? there is a strict limit of 80 visitors per day and it is nearly always booked out in advance so you can't just turn up, May is fully booked and dates are going for June.

Information and booking details http://www.heritagemalta.org/hmshop/hmshop.html

Yes the Winter timetable will still be in operation.

Graham
Hi Kiltman,

Thanks for all your help so far. I appreciate your time.

What I don't understand is this. I plan to visit the Mediterraneo Marine Park also which is located in Bahar ic-Caghaq.

Using the link you provided. It seems I would again have to catch the 43, 44, 45, 145 to Valetta and then 68 or 449 from Valetta over to Bahar ic-Caghaq?

Looking at the map it would seem I'm then going passed Bahar ic-Caghaq to get to Valetta to then come back on myself to head up to Bahar ic-Caghaq.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong? I'm trying to understand the bus system so I don't have to pre know everything via yourself before I go plus it also allows me to visit places on a whim if I can nail this bus system. I thought I'd started to understand it from your link but unless the above to get to Bahar ic-Caghaq is correct then I'm back at step one for getting anywhere that falls before valetta from Mellieha :D Failing that I'll be taking the laptop so you'll have to be on hand for when I'm there :rofl

Going off topic I did pre-book for the Hypogeum because luckily I'd read in a few places that you can't turn up which was good to know as it seems like it is one of the "things to see" in Malta. It does seem a little pricey but then again so do most things these days.

Thanks again!
It is very confusing, however the buses from Mellieha go to Valletta mainly via an inland route through Burmarrad then Mosta, the Mediterraneo Marine Park / Splash & Fun Park is situated on the coastal road, this route is served by buses mainly going to / from Sliema.

You have a couple of choices, take the 68 from Valletta, or easier take the 48 in to Bugibba and then take a 70, 449 627 or 652 heading for Sliema, however the easiest option is to take the only direct route from Mellieha to Sliema the 645, this then passes the Marine Park directly.

As you are going out the coastal road having passed through the outskirts of St Pauls / Bugibba you will see the Coastline Hotel on your right the Parks are between 5 & 10 minutes further on, you will spot them as you go along the coast road.
ARRGGG, why can't these forums keep your message when you hit submit and it tells you that you don't have enough posts to post links in your message, now I have to write it all again :cry

Here goes again...

Sorry to trouble you Kiltman but I'm still lost.

If I check the timetable for the "43" from Mellieha to Valletta at :-

atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/ControllerServlet?action=publicBusRouteTimes&busRouteId=66

It shows times like, 5.30, 5.45, 6.00, 6.15, 6.25 and so on between 10 and 15 minutes up to 8.30

I assume these are AM times, but what happens after 8.30? Is it then every 15 minutes for the rest of the day, when does this then go up to?

Coming back on the return bus, the "44" I assume they state 8.40, 9.40 and on until 21.00 - So I assume its a rather less frequent route going back to Mellieha than it is coming to Valletta?

Thanks in advance.

Although I'm looking forward to being one of the last to experience these traditional buses I think for the stupid tourist like myself it will be a great benefit when arriva take over and issue some comprehensive timetables.
Although I'm looking forward to being one of the last to experience these traditional buses I think for the stupid tourist like myself it will be a great benefit when arriva take over and issue some comprehensive timetables.

:think I think you are worrying a wee bit to much, once you are there you will see that it works and is easy to follow, if you turn up and wait on a bus one will usually be a long fairly quickly, the Island is so small you will never get lost and everybody is friendly so can help you out.

If you follow this you might find it easier http://atp.com.mt/atp/html/ATP_MAP.pdf it is very slow at downloading.

Look at the 645 SLIEMA - ÇIRKEWWA
Following the the winter timetable (black * ) it shows the bus leaves Sliema every 30 minutes from 08:00 until 18:15 going to Cirkewwa (ferry to Gozo location North of Melliehha) starting at 08:00 and leaving Cirkewwa going to Sliema at 09:10 until 19.10 every half hour, it also shows the route and cost of an adult and child Adult € 1.16.

(the summer times white * show SLIEMA 07.00-18.30 - ÇIRKEWWA 06.40-22.00 30 mins.)
SLIEMA - ÇIRKEWWA € 1.16 € 0.58
645 Sliema Ferry - Sliema Front - Balluta - St Julian's - Paceville - St. George's -
St. Andrews Splash & Fun Park - St. Paul's Bay - Xemxija - Mellieha Centre -
Mellieha Bay - Popeye Village (Route 441) Çirkewwa (Gozo Ferry Boat Terminal).
SLIEMA 07.30-19.10 - ÇIRKEWWA 09.10-19.10 30 mins.
SLIEMA 08.00-18.15 - ÇIRKEWWA 09.10-19.10 30 mins
Back from Malta.

Lets just say, when the bus service changes to Arriva it can't come soon enough.

I regularly moan about the english bus service but it is second to none compared to the maltese one. Random timed buses, even ones that run 1 per hour come 15 minutes late. The do top notch speeds in vehicles that are obviously well past their use by date. Don't be suprised to hang on for dear life, while funny at first on a serious note they are dangerous and I'm sure there are plenty of accidents.

Don't be suprised on a service to and from Valetta like the 45 to stand for an hour while hurtling around corners and break neck speeds.

The "cheap" bus routes are always heaving with people.

On a plus side many of the drivers are friendly and only too happy to tell you when you arrive at your stop, its also pleasing that they seem to know every other bus route too so you can ask on any bus and they tend to be able to tell you the correct bus to get.

Arriva can only improve the bus service, the stops themselves need updating as they have no useful information on most of them, for locals its fine but for tourists it can be a headache.

Don't forget also to drop any kind of British politeness when boarding a bus with huge amount of people waiting for it. I've seen a more polite pack of wild animals than a maltese bus queue full of mainland european tourists and maltese locals. Pushing past children and old people is the norm as they scramble and fight to get on for a seat.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.