Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I would alos like an idea of the prices and places to by gold, mainly chains, rings and braclets, I like unusual, had and necklace made in Tunisa but it was quite flimsy
I bought gold chains and rings whilst out in Sharm and did a great deal with the jewellers, they were most helpful and kind. A lot better gold than here in the UK and half the price.
im going to Egypt on my honeymoon and i was hoping to get a ring made is the jewellers like the ones in Turkey where they make things for you? :oops:
Depends where you are going Fiona. My wife and I had wedding rings made specially in Luxor. Very reasonable too.

As Briar says, there is nothing obvious in Sharm but i'm sure that there must be somewhere, maybe in Old Sharm, where jewellry is made to order.
Hi all,
Going to Sharm in 3 weeks, and daughter wants to buy gold ring for her mother for birthday. Would she get a better deal in Sharm than here at home. Any info, tips or recommended jeweller? Thanks.
There are good jewellers in Sharm but what you have to remember that their gold is usual a minimum of 14k
it won't have a hallmark they are a UK only mark

look for a shop that doesn't sell costume jewellery they may try to tell it's gold -- it ain't

I know of one Jeweller on the outside of the Fantasia complex at Ras um Sid that we've used and was very fair in his prices
The main thing to watch is try and find one ready made otherwise they may charge you for making the ring on top of the price you agree (unless like me you knock them down)

Good hunting
OK Gray, Thanks, will do as you suggested. :lol:
Forgot to say we got a 12 Carat Pendant and a 6 carat ring in Sky Blue Topaz set for just over £90 (Gems tV has a similarring at £356 as retail price) made especially both beautiful gems in solid settings big and bold
hi im going to the conrad sharm el sheikh in september, and was wondering if there are any jewellers you can recommend to me that aren't too far away, maybe somewhere in naama bay for example. Also does anyone have any tips on what to look for and what to avoid, as i dont want to get ripped off :?
get the price per gram.....

check for stamps.. a lot of the jewellery is italian, and is stamped ITALY!

It can be ostentatious. The jewellery shops opposite BUS STOP, on the left hand corner where the street opens to the beach are very good. Do not pay the first price.
You need a gold certificate on purchase.

Also, uopstairs insuide the shopping mall just past pizza hut and hard rock are ok... have a good look round first. Shops are not open until 2.00pm in the afternoon usually.....
Can you buy white gold or silver in Sharm. last year i bought out the shop on gold, but cannot remember seeing it.

Thanks

Michelle.
yes
loads of shops just sell silver..... and the white gold is in the normal jewellery shops......
Thanks Perfume, its my birthday on the 18th May, so i asked hubby to buy me something whilst out there in June.
Hi,
My daughter wants to take her 16th birthday money with her to buy some gold. My husband also wants to buy something.
Is there a limit as to what you can bring back before having to pay duty on it? My mum said that coming back from America they had to wear everything they bought!!!
Also will we need to haggle the price or is it a set price?
Thanks Elane
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.