EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
depends what you want it for........... ask as many questions, however stupid they might sound, as you can!
We've never had problems with mozzies in Turunc, or around the area. We have learnt from bitter experience (the worse place was Zante for us) and when we go to any hot countries we do usually use mozzie spray, but we are quite lax in Turunc and don't seem to get bitten. Depending on what you are after, you have several choices in the area, Marmaris is large and lively, Icmeler pretty busy but a bit more upmarket, and Turunc is small and very picturesque.
They usually fumigate the resorts regularly, so if you are planning to buy in a resort most places should be OK, unless of course you are by a river.
Any one know of anyone selling in Ovacik or Hisaronu?

Are there many British owners in this region?

Thanks
We bought in Altinkum last June. Different areas, different prices, we found the likes of Icmeler, Kalkan and Hisaronu more expensive compared to Altinkum. What are you looking to pay and what size of apartment are you looking for ? Is it just for holidays or are you thinking of emigrating ??

Les
Thanks for replying. My sister has 2 apartments in Altinkum but we prefer the Hisaronu area. Having been to Turkey 25 times in the past 15 years we are drawn back to Hisaronu/Olu Deniz/Ovacik.

We are looking to purchase but not to rent out. Plan is to use it more in the future and if the kids want to use it (kids are in their 20`s!)

I have been offered several 2 bedroom apartments but would prefer to buy from a British owner in a complex where there are other British people.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,
There is a website called The Hisaronu Experience Forum, this may be worth looking at as people on this type of forum very often advertise their properties for sale. Good luck in your venture.

Les
Kevin mate you need to be veeeeeeery careful buying in Turkey. Lots of rip off artists with people loosing their life savings on homes with no deeds, or that have debts on. BAD NEWS. Do your homework mate before even thinking of buying. remember also that people find it very hard to sell them so don't even think of them as an investment. take a butchers at TLF, lots of heartbreaking storys on there of people who bought in Turkey and bitterly regret it after loosing their money or buying a house that ends up falling to bits or is worthless. :cry
gb
I have to agree that there are some heartbreaking stories about house purchases in Turkey - but just wanted to add that there are also thousands of happy stories where people have bought and are happy with what they got (me included). I think the advice is to take things slowly, take your time and look round, take advice off people who have done it and don't get carried away. Property purchase is different in Turkey and you really need to get clued up to the process before you jump in.

Oh - and be wary of buying off-plan as there's loads of complexes being built which I doubt very much will ever get finished.

Jak xx
Hi all,
We live in the turkish republic northern cyprus. probably had more than its fair share of bad press in recent times. my advice to anyone buying anywhere abroad would be if your intending to relocate then rent for a year first. if your looking for a holiday home connect up to the local forums and chat groups and ask plenty of questions before buying. never re-mortgage to buy abroad because if things go wrong you will put everything you have a risk. its always a risk buying abroad so double check everything your told at least twice independently of your lawyer/estate agent ect ect.
saying that we have no regrets and have ben here five years now. :sun2
Hi Ace,
I tend to agree with most of what has been said.We have travelled to this area for the last 15 years and purchased a two bedroom apartment in Fethiye four years ago.We are on a small complex of 9 apartments with pool and love the place.Ours was a resale from an English person who bought it as an investment.It had not been lived in previously and was 2 years old.We purchased for quite a bit less than they had done.
We never bought to make money,it was purely for ourselves and our children to stay in.We dont rent,it is just for us.
There are plenty of good deals to be had in buying resales,rather than pay top prices for off plan properties, where there is always a chance of a problem,although there are some very reputable companies and very happy customers.Also make sure you have a good lawyer.That is most important.Properties in our area of Fethiye tend to be cheaper to buy,but it is a great place to be based for travelling around.You will get some negative replies but also positive ones.There are still many happy people who have purchased holiday and retirement homes.
Good luck in your quest.
Kind Regards
Dave
Don't see the point of tying all that money up if it's only for holidays. Property is still falling in price, you could holiday in a luxury hotel on what you would lose in a year.
Know what you mean Jacky, but each to their own. Properties are definitely not an investment anymore. Many people buy their property to enable them to have their own things around them, and use them for long breaks which would be costly in a luxury hotel. Even if it is does work out more expensive than staying in luxury accommodation, there's nothing like being comfortable with all your own things around you, and not having to bring much luggage. Would agree with everything Dave said.
We try to get the best of both worlds we have had many lovely holidays in our apartment, but we also rent it for a few weeks a year which covers all the day to day running.
When we retire we hope to spend a lot more time there, but meanwhile what we are doing works for us. In my view, anyone who has to rely on rentals should definitely not buy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.