Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Cairo or Luxor??
10 Posts
If possible I would go to both! Its amazing to see the Pyramids and the Sphinz, and the museum is amazing you could spend all day in it! The best way to see everything is to do a weeks cruise, then 3 nights in Cairo and the other 6 in Luxor. The best of all worlds then :)
I would say that if you are able to book both (they are available as a package form tour operators) you should visit Cairo for no more than 3 days then go to Luxor for sightseeing and also a bit of relaxation.

Both Luxor and Cairo have their charms and amazing sights to see, however 3 days is all that would be required in Cairo to visit the Sphinx / Pyramids (located at same area) and also the fabulous Cairo Museum, try and also visit the Khan al-Khalili bazaar if you can.
Luxor has a vast range of sights including, the Luxor Temple, the Temple at Karnak, the West Bank including the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens, the Tombs of the Nobles and the Ramesseum. You can take a Felucca sail on the Nile or a ride in a hot air balloon as well as several other excursions.

Also available is a one day visit from Luxor to Cairo, this is a full day excursion and takes in the Pyramids / Sphinx, the Cairo museum and also a visit to the bazzar.

Graham
If I could only choose one destination then it would definately be Luxor as there is more choices, Valley of the kings, Queens , Nobles, Temples of Luxor, Karnak, Hatchepsut, The Collossi of Memmnon, then there are trips out along the Nile to Abydos and Dendera, all do-able in day trips. Then there are cruises down to Aswan, and Abu Simbal
Although Cairo is a fantastic place to go, after three days we seemed to be running out of things to do as the pyramids and sphinx are so close together etc you tend to do them very quickly, and we couldn,t really seem to relax as we do in Luxor.

Just my opinion though, wifey prefers the beach/snorkeling etc at Hurghada.

Gaz
Ultimately I would agree with Gaz, Luxor as your base and then do various trips / excursions from there to some of the huge range of monuments and other attractions that are all available in the area and beyond.
There are many travel agents located at the Sofitel Winter Palace hotel (located on the Corniche) who can provide you with a vast range of tours and excursions, for a first visit you might feel easier booking with one of these companies and doing an organised tour other than trying to go on your own.

If you decide on Luxor please come back on for more info :tup

Graham
Hi we are staying at Sharm and only wanted to do the one trip. We have 19 mth old twins and travelling with two little ones can be quite a battle esp when they want to run around lol
Assume you are looking at flying ? - it is probably easier to get to Cairo from Sharm than Luxor. (5 hrs ish each way by road to Cairo would be a real trek with the little ones).

You don't say when you are travelling but don't forget to factor in the heat in either Luxor or Cairo - can be in mid thirties as early as February and would counsel against visiting either with small people in the summer months when 45-50 degrees.
We have 19 mth old twins

I must be honest here and say that IMHO I think it is probably a bit too much at any time of year for children just so young to do either Cairo or Luxor from Sharm.

The two trips are Full days starting very early (5-6am) in the morning and not returning until very late at night (9-11pm) with a lot of travelling by plane & mini coach, and you have to remember that you also have the full check-in procedures to go through including security x-rays etc on both legs of the flight if going to Cairo by plane.
In addition the temperatures will still be very warm for young children in both Luxor & Cairo with very little shade at any time of year, however any later than March would be far too hot for the children.

Sorry to put a bit of a damper on that but as we have just found out about the young children and I think it is worth being open and honest, however the choice must always be yours and if you decide to go ensure that you take adequate fluids and sun protection not just for the kid but also for yourselves, also if it is during the winter months it will get slightly cooler at night so you might need a cardigan / jumper.

Graham
Thanks for all your replies. We are travelling on the 9th of November and sister in law and family are coming with us and have offered to have the kids for us as they are not doing the trips. :)
That's a result then :tup

For a one day visit I would say that Cairo is probably the easiest one for a day because you can fly there directly where as Luxor is by road or plane to Cairo then transfer to a Luxor flight.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.