Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I totally agree with everything you say, the place is a mess and as far as I am concerned my love affair with Goa is coming to an end...........never in a million years did I think that would happen!! LOTS of long stayers have not returned this year because they are fed up with place. Such a shame because this used to be the ideal destination. Now you can't walk two yards without falling down a hole, standing in dog S**t, or staring death in the face from too fast and too much traffic. If you go out on your bike you are likely to get pulled by the cops and "fined".......they are standing in packs on every junction and rumble strip in the Baga/Calangute/Candolim area. Yes Goa has changed! I used to say "it's a s**t hole, but it's MY s**t hole and I love it" but the attraction is wearing off. In saying that, Palolem (as busy as it is now), still has a magical feel for me. I just hope they can see sense soon and amend things before they lose the tourist industry that keeps many Goan families going.
Goldenflipflop xx
I agree with everything you say goldenflipflop, we have cancelled our trip in February due to all these circumstances, including late shack opening, visa problems, a bad hotel that we stayed in this year ( Village Royal, speciality of the house is food poisoning - doctor on call??- see my review) and last of all Monarch bl**dy Airlines.

How can they say they say that they will arrive in the UK Manchester at 8pm when they never do, because they have to make a second stop in Cyprus to refuel because of the high winds. We arrived at 10.30 pm .

Obviously some of these things can be rectified like never travelling with sardine airways and going back to a hotel we trust, but others can't be and I know the Goan authorities are not interested in Tourism. When I get over this holiday I intend to write to the Herald, High Commision and anyone else that will likely NOT LISTEN.

We are going to take a year out and then reconsider, we love the place but....
Doesn`t bode well for the future does it ? we almost booked for Egypt this year when the visa fiasco began. Me and Mrs FTV had a long sit down and a chat and decided that this will probably be our last year in Goa :cry: We decided that we will do 3 weeks this year instead of the 2 so we can say goodbye to the dear friends we have in Goa and wish them well for what we see as a not so bright future for them. It really puts a lump in my throat when I think of those happy smiling faces I have known over the last 10 years and the fact that Goa no longer cares about its tourists, each year I have visited I get some really sad stories from my friends that tell me about how bad things are becoming with each visit I make. Although it really pains me to come to this decision I really don`t need the hassles of it all and I feel so sad that this will spoil some great friendships and fond memories of the Old Goa that I know and loved :cry:
ftv, me too, thats the way we are feeling at the moment, but think on, when you get there enjoy every single minute and make sure you make it a holiday that you wont forget, it would be awful if our last trip was to be remembered for the wrong reasons, we are looking forward to march and going for it !!!!! :lol: but as you say, i think this will be the last one...mind you we said that last march and booked up 2 weeks after we came back!!!
jane
We will be there in March too Jane so may see you at the meet up, to be honest the main reason to go back this time was to say goodbye, I had some horrible thoughts about never seeing my Goan friends again so had to go just for this reason, my Mrs says I`m a big softie but I just couldn`t not say goodbye to them, it will be such an emotional last few days I`m sure.
As much as it pains me to say it, I feel exactly the same too, I was looking to go back in February but not too sure now.
Another one :? hope any new vistors to Goa don`t read this the wrong way, I`m sure you will love it just as much as we did, we remember Goa before what it was today and my memories of the Old Goa were better than they are of todays Goa (if that makes sense) :wink:
This is very sad to read :-(

Saying that I spend my time at the quieter beaches. When I do go to Candolim its to eat at night.

I really hope its improved in March when i'm also there :?
mardon, thats good thinking, go to the quieter beaches and enjoy the good food in candolim at night, its gonna be what you make it, at least we know what to expect and we can make the best of it.
jane
Yes its the 3rd time for me so I definately know what to expect. It is sad to here about.

I'm bring 8 others with me. 2 have been before and love the place. I worry what the other 5 will think..

I'm sure it'll be the same as eveyone else. SHOCK!!! Then you fall in love by the 3rd day.
Sounds like some of you are getting a bit long in the tooth.. Goa has always been dirty with building work animal mess etc .I know as i,ve been going for 20 years and the reason its great is because it is different. Im glad some of you moaners are making it your last trip there .the place will be better without you trying to turn it into another european style destination. :shock:
First time visitor flying out to Goa this Saturday 8th Dec.

Getting worried now with these recent posts about the state of everything!!

:shock: :(
Dont worry Bodger It,ll be great . goa always delivers dont let a those moaners put you off! :lol:
bodger, i am sure that you will have a wonderful time, when you are sitting in a beach shack sipping a ice cold kings and looking at the huge garlic prawns on your plate you will know that this is going to be a good holiday.

i know that we will when we go we will enjoy it to the full, and we are not moaning for the sake of it, this is an open discussion forum, where the members can say how they feel, and give advice/commnets and such like, we dont mean to "brown stamp" anyones holiday, and a lot of the people on this forum have been many times and thats how they can give advice and answers to most questions. Yes Calangute is a bit of a mess at the moment, but try to turn a blind eye and enjoy what goa has to offer, its an experience you wont forget...and bodger, i wish i was going this weekend!!
J :)
Im glad some of you moaners are making it your last trip there .the place will be better without you trying to turn it into another european style destination. Shocked

Thats the last thing I want for Goa, and yes Goa has always been a mess and yes I will miss watching dogs fight with cows over a plastic bag and yes Goa is different and yes that`s why I like it.

However I do despise the way we are treated by the Indian Government and the Goa tourist dept., come on Winterpansy it is an absolute joke what has happened this year, admit it :idea: Their idea of progress is laughable to say the least, who`s bright idea was it to put a 2 day music festival on Candolim beach of all places ? now that`s what I mean, totally clueless.
Dont worry Bodger :wink: its the same every season, there are some weird and wonderful ideas that pass for progress and some things you would never accept anywhere else but for me, my family and friends that visit Goa just laugh at them and accept it as part of life. Weve seen lots of changes over the years some good some bad, but we keep going back because it is different and I cant stand the Cost Del Blackpool that some tourist areas in other countries have become ( no offence to anyone from Blackpool intended!) Trust me you will never have a holiday like it anywhere. On our first visit we stayed in a hotel called Alphaville now Cilla Goa and outside was a few tin shacks a load of pigs and chickens and rubbish and we still went back! Just remember its a developing country. :D
Costa Del Blackpool that sums up the Calangute/Candolim Baga stretch.To me this is not Goa but just a dirty version of the Spanish costas why anyone would want to fly 10 hours to stay there is beyond me.

John
You still enjoying the Bogmalo life JC? We're giving Goa a miss this year - after five years-very sad, but, a combination of Calanglute and the airport have taken their toll. We stayed in the South last year which, although a tad quiet was preferable to the resorts in the North. Having said that - there was a certain magic about the Calanglute / Candolim area which could be revived with a little help from the authorities......therin, I fear, lies the problem...
Goa
Well Winterpansy I have been going there for last 15 years, I don't feel any differently than I did then - long in the tooth, I guess so, but I miss the old Goa. A few bars, a few shacks, power cuts that lasted god knows how long. Sharing the street equally with the cows, pigs, stray dogs and goodness knows what else.
I don't like how it is being built up, but hey ho progress, but there is a different feel this year - cant put my finger on it but its just not the same.
Big Neil - you were saying the same things last year and I lambasted you, you were right and I apologise.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.