Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Calungute stretches over quite a distance Ill just walk you from St Anthonys Chapel to the beach The main road to Baga goes through the centre of Calungute and how two buses can pass on such a narrow road still amazes me (sure isn't the M25) . The noise at 'rush hour' is almost unbearable, however once you leave the main road peace returns to a degree.
From St Anthonys chapel keep to the main road past all the traders, proper shops and little traders all of whom invite you to see what they are selling -' look see what I am selling ' - 'please look in my shop' - , th Nizmar Hotel and many others together with every taxi driver asking you (or it seems like calling you!) taxi, taxi, taxi. It has to be one of the most irrating sounds in Goa now. Your nose will tell you when you are close to the fish market and if it doesnt, once you see the temple you will be past it. Keep straight on that road past the chemists and banks and bars and restaurants, hotels and cows of course. Straight over the next roundabout (if you turn right you go into Baga - left leads you on the back road past the Alor hotel to the Candolim end of Calungute just before St Anthonys chapel) past the Tibetan market keep walking past the football field, behind which is the car/bus park where all the local tourists meet to go home Keep going and eventually once you go through yet another barricade of taxi taxi taxi you will come to the steps of Calungute beach, This part of the beach (by Souza Lobos) is generally crowded with Indian tourists and often gets crowded with Indian families having picnics. Its beautiful on the beach at night as you can look along the stretch and pick out Baga, Candolim Sinquerim from the number of lights you can see.
My favourite part of the beach is from St Anthony's Chapel walk back towards Candolim keep walking past the Kamat and take the next right (Holiday Street) follow the road all the way down past Maggies, close to the Goan Heritage, and turn left once on the beach towards Candolim, walk past the cluster of shacks until things thin out a little and you are there - paradise and amongst friends
I hope thats a start Fi - Lyn
thanks Lyn- just what I was looking for :tup
Yeh, me too. Know where you're at but what are your favourite beach shacks on your little bit of paradise. Thanks
Aggies for Anita the beach shack girl (married with 2 children) and the customers Been going there since 1996
Another good one is Johneys at the back of the Goan Heritage. They have a wonderfull massage lady, Laxmi, Anitas sister, and if you go about 200 yrds in the direction of Calangute you'll come to Dominos shack, another nice place where the massage lady is Helen, Laxmi & Anitas older sister !! They all do great massages and are lovely people to know, who we've been friends with, for the past 10 years or so. Alan
Gramps makes me wonder if we haven't met at some stage????
cheers Lyn x
goa
Are the toilets ok in Aggies and Johneys. Used Bonos on Candolim beach in Jan and they were great.
I dont think anyone could match the toilets at Bono's OAP, theyre fanstastic!
wouldn't recommend Aggies toilet usually straight into the sand as I believe a lot of them are. Johnnies is more sophisticated and has a flush!
cheers Lyn x
goa
Thanks - will still give them a go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aggies has got a flush but don't know where it goes from there - usually very clean and always has loo roll. Plenty of water for hand washing.
Food is very good at Aggies although sometimes the portions are a little on the small side.
Whether they flush or not, or are spotless or filthy, I'm afraid it just goes directly into the sand where the toilet is erected, quite often not a million miles from the kitchen !!! In actual fact the ones with no toilets where you made tracks into the bushes or into the sea were actually less of a health hazard than those that now have flushing toilets that go nowhere. Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.