Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Hi

Have a read through the resort reports HERE for starters :wink:

Pippy :D
depends what you are looking for, noisy brit bars and burgers, we thought it was a dump to be honest calella, we were staying in santa susanna could'nt wait to get back to it, would hate to see it in august, its only pennies on the train from santa susanna to calella takes just a couple of minutes, think its two stops, if your kids are teenagers they will prefer calella if they are samll you would be better of in santa susanna, the beaches stretch for miles, and the train runs right along the coast, between the two is pineda, santa susanna and malgrat run into each other that is busier, santa susanna at night have stalls all along the prom most of the nightlife is hotel based but you can go in any, there are also a few english bars there at the start of malgrat, anything else just ask

Rosie
Just backing up Rosie's opinion that Calella IS a dump! Go with Santa Susanna.

C xxx
Out of the two i would choose Santa Susannna/Malgrat, Calella is ok for shopping but i found it to be rather dirty. I am staying in Pineda this year but will definately be spending time in Santa Susanna
Personally I would prefer Calella, but it depends on how old your children are - if they are under 4 then go to Malgrat as it is quiet and peaceful and they will have lots of space on the beach. If they are older than 4 then go to Calella as there will be more children for them to play with and the hotels entertainment (who do a great go) will be in English. I stayed in Malgrat last year and my son was 2 at the time so it didn't bother us, but the hotels entertainment was in Spanish and Dutch and the young children didn't have a clue what was going on and I felt so sorry for them.
Calella is a more cosmopolitan resort with long windy cobbled streets full of shops and cafes where you can stop off and have a drink outside on the streets and watch the day go by and in the evenings. Some of the streets are dark but you never feel as if you're in any danger. There are a lot more play areas in Calella as well. Plus the main factor - it's a lot more Brits there so the children's entertainment will be in English. There is a British pub by the train station - I think it is called Apples and Pairs which has theme nights and parties for families in the evening. I haven't been there personally for a while, but friends of mine came back last year and said his children boy aged 6 and girl aged 9 had a fantastic time plus the bar has air conditioning.

Look at a website called resorthoppa.com for prices from the airport
I stayed in Santa Susanna in September 2004 with my boyfriend. If you are looking for a good hotel I would recommend the Aquamarina as the facilities are great for families. They have a nice pool, a bowling alley, games room, lots of pool tables, kids club and evening entertainment. There are 3 bars also and some sort of disco room although that wasn't open when we went.
i say there is more english bars in calella as i have stayed at all the resorts along the coast..someone mentioned apples bar,they have a sister bar in calella run buy a bloke called honest john(mad as anything)
they have a website called calellabars.com if you go on the alcatraz one u can watch the webcam,doesnt get busy till later on,they sell english food allday,all the sport on allday plus take bets,and have bingo at night and the jackpot is obout 500 euros,good place to be and will be going back this year
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.