Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
Tried to send email but the address wasn't valid :que
And, yes, I did remove the spaces...
Hmmmm, well I copied it exactly as it was posted (minus the spaces!). Perhaps you could PM katerinac for the correct email address as I believe she can reply, just not initially send.
Hi there going to Caleta dorada in just 3 weeks. Reading some of the reviews for a while now and hoped that i would start to see some better ones. I have a family den 2 adults 3 kiddies. has anyone been more recently, i dont want to read too much into the reviews because they are mostly very early 07 dates or oct-dec dates.

Also would like some advise what to do when we are there. My children are 8 5 and 2 so need to be entertained is a must.

Oh and i also wanted to ask if someone can confirm the layout a bit more. On google earth its seems to be split with roads in between the bungalows are they busy or have i looked wrongly ?

hoping it gonna be hot !

thanks for helping me.
Emx :wave:
Argh just posted and it deleted it.

Bad points -

kids den not quite as described - doesn't sleep 3 adults and 3 kids. One room is double, one room has bunk style cabin beds (which sleeps two obviously). The intention is the rest sleep on the sofa. We had a 1 year old in a travel cot so got another for the 3 year old (also took a 4 and 7 year old) they were quite large and roomy.

food was mostly processed. There was a lot of it and at some points it was great - for example a man cooked pasta most lunches and dinners, i think he was part of the Italian tour group as he wore their uniform, and it was lovely. But the rest of the time processed. Some local fresh food, but a lot of it was cheaper style food. Choice of drinks wasn't fantastic either, apart from the alcohol!!! Diet coke, coke, fanta, lemon fanta and water, or fruit juices (but these was very chemically, reminiscent of old style Sunny D) or tea/coffee. Many many spirits, beer, things like that, wine was out of tetra paks though!!!

Netural points -

the roads. Yes it is all split up by roads but they aren't busy. It does get confusing where the resort starts and where it ends.

Good points -

the kids clubs! Mostly up to three sessions a day. for 3-8 year olds. This is Three you book and pay in advance (these are a McDonalds party, a big group party and a Candy challenge party - our kids went to all bar the mcdonalds one) then lots you just show up for which are free, mostly for two hours, including movie nights from 9-11pm 3 times a week. (the three and four year old loved this!!! They felt very grown up)

There are three pools, A B and C. Don't know which was A or B though! We went to C once which is by the two themed restaurants and the bar/stage where the first choice entertainment takes place. This is the one with waterslides etc. But we didn't stay there as the water from the slides was very deep and the baby pool was seperated and walled off. So not suitable for our 3/4 year olds.

There's a pool right next to the kids club, it has a baby pool a bit blocked by a wall these pools were really nice but very busy.

The best pool was us was next to the main restaurant. It had a kids pool next to the main pool, so if you lay on sunbeds you could constantly watch and see them. Kids pool was 50cm deep so safe for them all to play in alone but supervised. Even the nearly
2 year old ended up in it just with the other kids in her inflatable ring! Plus sunbeds are always available.

We went to the beach three times (walk past reception and keep going around 15min) plus the market on the saturday (not brilliant and they all try a VERY hard sell). The beach was brilliant, fairly shallow but we preferred it after around2/3pm because when the tide came in all the fishies came in two and we bought nets and fished for them! Went on the ocean submarine trip too which was rubbish, kids liked it but you were only looking at the fish from a very dirty cramped box!!!!!

Lots of people raved about the Oasis Park but we didn't make it there.

I put the one year old in the creche a few times. She enjoyed it and I was happy she was out the sun. Most times somwhat coincide with the kids club.

Also the med/oriental restaurants - we booked into the oriental three times and it was delicious. Didn't get a chance to go to the med one (apparently mostly italian) as you have to book the day before and we were always too late.
You can also book a packed lunch, we did this a few times and mostly still made it back for meals. You got fruit (not particularly fresh) sandwiches which were ok, and a lot of bottles of water and cartons of juice which were good for when we needed them and also trip home.

My only other negative comment was the airplane. Very cramped seats (I'm 5'3 too!) I did have to suffer my 22 month old on my lap which I wasn't too happy with as the tray doesn't come down then which made eating/drinking impossible. My knees touched the chair infront! Also on the way home they had run out of every drink on previous flight and the only thing they had was one alcoholic drink left - kids didn't get a drink for four hours.

Sorry if this sounds negative! But we did have a great time! The resort was clean and everyone very friendly. It was a very chilled out holiday.
Emma28 wrote:
On google earth its seems to be split with roads in between the bungalows are they busy or have i looked wrongly ?
There is a road through part of the complex, but it's not a busy road and the bonus is the mini-train which runs into the main resort. We stayed on C-side and our apartment looked out onto the road and there was just the occasional car passing through (and the mini-train!)
Emma28 wrote:
Also would like some advise what to do when we are there. My children are 8 5 and 2 so need to be entertained is a must.
When we were there, the First Choice entertainment team were first class and most people seemed happy with the kids club reps as well. The kids club is in the far corner of A-side and there is a playground for children there as well. The pool on B-side is lovely (near the main restaurant and reception) and C-side is where most of the main action takes place, with the big pool, slides, splash-park and separate paddling pool, entertainment stage and bar and themed restaurants. C-side has the road running through it and all the Kids Den apartments are on C-side. I have a photo of the map, I can email it to you if you send me a PM.
If you want to get away from the complex, you just walk down the hill at the side of reception, under the little subway and carry on straight down to the beach. Once you get to the beach you can either turn right and walk over to the Atlantico Shopping Centre (McDonalds, Burger King, cinema, bowling and shops) or turn left and walk to Caleta harbour, see the boats, feed the fish and then walk around to the rocks and do some chipmunk-spotting!
We had a fantastic time at the Caleta Dorada, and I would go back there tomorrow for the right price :-D Daughter made lots of friends (Wavelength teenagers club) and I had a lovely chilled-out 2 weeks.
Looking for a cheapish one week break in the easter hols next year - AI price for the above hotel looks good - never been to the island before so any advise would be appreicated - just want somewhere warm with good pools for the kids and maybe a games room and gym. Is aircraft noise a problem at this hotel? Does anyone have any other recommendations? If we go self catering would this be a good base (i.e. is it within walking distance of restaurants?) Thanks to anyone who can help.
There is a long thread with lots of information HERE. I stayed at this complex at Easter 2007 and had a great time :-D The AI was good, the First Choice entertainment team were great. There wasn't a games room, but there are First Choice kids clubs for all ages. Aircraft noise wasn't a problem for me, but I live under the flight path for Manchester Airport, so having planes coming over from 7.30am till about 10pm-ish was much less than we are used to at home.
We are going back to Costa Caleta next Easter, but won't be going to the Caleta Dorada this time, we'll be staying SC at the Broncemar Beach, which is much nearer all the bars and shops. One thing about the Caleta Dorada complex, it's a good walk downhill to the bars and restaurants if you're SC, (and an even bigger trek back up the hill...)
Any questions, feel free to ask!
Cyber - a couple of questions if you dont mind. How long does it take to walk to restaurants etc if we fancy a night in town (you mentioned its quite a trek - is it walkable or a taxi ride?) Do they supply umberellas with the beach beds and do you know if any of the facilities are likely to be closed during Easter break (gym, restaurants on site etc). Are there likely to be lots of other school age kids there at Easter hols?
GILLG wrote:
How long does it take to walk to restaurants etc if we fancy a night in town (you mentioned its quite a trek - is it walkable or a taxi ride?)
It's walkable downhill to the bars and restaurants, about 10 minutes stroll. It's walkable back up again, if you feel like it. During the day there is a little mini-train which runs through the main resort and up the hill to the Caleta Dorada.
GILLG wrote:
Do they supply umberellas with the beach beds
If by "beach beds" you mean the sunbeds at the hotel, then there are very few umbrellas around. We managed to get one once, and after it had blown away several times and almost knocked some small children over, we gave up. There's a reason why there aren't many umbrellas up the hill!
There are sunbeds and umbrellas down at the beach, but I don't know how much you have to pay for them.
GILLG wrote:
do you know if any of the facilities are likely to be closed during Easter break (gym, restaurants on site etc)
When we went in Easter 2007, the Chinese restaurant was closed for the whole time and the Mediterranean restaurant only opened two nights a week and you had to book in advance, however the main restaurant was good. I think they closed these restaurants because the complex was only about â!“ full when we were there. I have heard they now let out most of the "A" or "B" block rooms to Italian guests, so it may now get a busier than when we were there and more facilities may be up and running.
GILLG wrote:
Are there likely to be lots of other school age kids there at Easter hols?
Despite the fact that the complex was only â!“ full, there were lots of kids there of all ages. My daughter (14 at the time) made loads of friends and the all the kids clubs were in full swing and fully staffed.
A couple of more questions if you dont mind - will any of the pools be heated during easter? Are mozzies a problem? is the kids suite worth paying more for (what extras do you get) and does anyone know what the gym was like? Thanks
GILLG wrote:
A couple of more questions if you dont mind - will any of the pools be heated during easter? Are mozzies a problem? is the kids suite worth paying more for (what extras do you get) and does anyone know what the gym was like? Thanks
I dont remember any of the pools being heated at all, and they were freezing! :shock:
We had no problems with mosquitoes at Easter.
We booked a Kids Den room, but because I had two teens instead of young children, they gave us two adjoining one-bedroomed apartments instead (which was great), so I didn't actually see what the Kids Den rooms are like.
As for the gym, I never saw it. I think it was downstairs under the entertainment bar on "C" block, but it was always locked up, don't think anyone was all that interested really - swimming in the icy pool burns quite enough calories :roll:
Hi all Im new to this site. We are going to the dorada complex in 2 weeks. First can anyone tell me if this is the ones with yellow bungalows? If so its the right place .... Does any one know how much it is to go all inclusive per person per week. At the moment we are self catering, does any know of any good places to eat in case we dont manage al inclusive. any other tips that anyone got will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Stayed in the Club Caleta Dorada complex last year between 13 and 20 Sept. We had a kid den which was ideal for us 3 aduts - 3 kids. We have booked up to go again this year 26 Aug - 2 Sept. Only problem we did have was security, we had an attempted break-in. After scouring through holiday after holiday for this year we realised how brilliant last years holiday was, the food, accomodation, entertainment, pools so we have booked again.
MARIE-B'HAM wrote:
After scouring through holiday after holiday for this year we realised how brilliant last years holiday was, the food, accomodation, entertainment, pools so we have booked again.
We had a fantastic time there at Easter 2007 - one of our best holidays. I would love to go again. The First Choice entertainment team made the holiday for us - they were brilliant! Also, the teenager's Wavelength club kept daughter occupied with lots of new friends. We had no problems with security - we just made sure the door was locked properly all the time and left the lights and TV on in the evenings.
We are back in Caleta this Easter but this time we are going self-catering at the Broncemar Beach. We are taking daughter's best friend on a free child place - her mum couldn't afford to pay for a holiday for her if we had gone all-inc, otherwise we would definitely have gone back to the Caleta Dorada.
just wondering if you can still pay for the all inclusive option if you go self catering at the hotel reception
Hi l hope someone can help put my mind at rest about break ins and terrible food as l am going here in may with my partner and kids and l am really worried about reviews l have been reading on other site's it's not looking too good :(
club caleta dorada 15th may
just though l would add my own page to see if any 1 else is staying here the same time as my family.... :tup would be great to see who replys....... ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.