America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Thanks very much for your report. I'm sure we will be able to get lots of tips from it. Be prepared for a lot of questions in the near future.
OMG what a fantastic report, i love California and cannot wait to go back again next june. Just listening to you mentioning all my favourite shops and sites brought it all back from when i last went.

I am glad Michelle liked Indiana Jones the ride in DL, i love it, especially the bit where the rolling ball comes towards you and its a case of ducking quick ;) Did you like the holiday Inn? We are staying at the Cortona inn and suites. We were going to book the Anaheim as it had great reviews, but i liked how the Management always read and wrote back on Trip advisor, so decided to go with them.
When you went to Hollywood did the guide tell you to watch out for all the earthquake listeners?? Basically that's a little prank they play. The listeners are actually the homeless that are drunk, and they lay propped up on their sides drinking into a stupor. We didnt fall for it, but some did :really

The big thunder ride, i actually thought that had stopped working? A year or so ago wasnt it LA that someone fell off? A good job your wife didn't know about this. Apart from I/jones this has to be my favourite ride. I didn't like Space mountain, i came off white and felt the twists were too tight, i was dizzy, more than i am now! The same ride at Disney world is better a bit tamer.

We never got to Alcatraz but are hoping to go next year on our tour and fit it in with the itinerary we have got so far, but this keeps getting bigger as time goes on.

I so agree what you stated about Hollywood though, it is a dump but Rodeo drive and all those shops were great as well as the prices. I was dying to go into freds and do the pretty woman thing, but i dont think a crop top and shorts would have gone down that well :rofl

Thanks again for a great report, i am getting fidgety, i want to go NOW :)

Michelle x
Ah, Applebee's... their Bourbon Street Steak is my favorite steak. It's not the best steak ever in terms of the quality of the meat but I love the flavor. Every time I go past Applebee's (which is fairly often since there is one near me... temptation is everywhere!) I have to stop myself from going in!

And Gilroy's Garlic Fries. Gilroy is a city off Highways 101 and 152 and its famous (well, sort of) for its garlic. If you drive through there you can often smell the garlic from the highway. Gilroy has a garlic festival every year although I don't believe I've ever been (I used to live near there but don't anymore).

For those who would like to see AT&T Park but not necessarily attend a game, the stadium is clearly visible on the right from the 101 freeway as you approach San Francisco from the south. It used to be called 3Com Park a few years ago until they changed sponsors.

I agree that Hollywood is disappointing. I think people expect LA to be this glamorous place but forget that it's very much a working city. For "touristy" things to do, I think San Francisco offers a lot more (though LA does have far better theme parks). Sunset Blvd, despite it's lofty reputation, is also a very plain street in my opinion and not very glamorous at all. The only highlight, in my opinion, is the old Capital Records building (the one that gets destroyed in... The Day After Tomorrow... I think that was the movie anyway).
great report. Another area I have yet to visit but have it on my plans for one day :)
i got all excited,reading your report.we are off to san francisco in 27 days :) so i found it really interesting!
it was definately,a great read.thanks for some insight
tracy
Brilliant report Ian! Thanks so much for posting. It's 20 years since we did California, but it took back a lot of memories.

luci :wave
Hold on a minute, you included San Francisco, Yosemite and Applebees in one trip report. 3 of my favourite USA related things!!! Thank you very much for that!! :tup

It is interesting how many people are going to or thinking of heading to LA as a change from Florida this and next year. We went in 2002 and haven't been back since, whereas we have to Florida three times since 2002. LA really didn't float my boat at all, it was all ok (except Hollywood which was a dump of epic proportions) but nothing was life changing. I liked the Disney parks, and certainly appreciated the cooler weather but there didn't seem to be the sparkle there, which seemed strange considering Disneyland is the original. Universal was a (slow) nightmare with the elevators upto the various areas of the park although it did contain the best backlot tour in the entire world, and don't even get me started on the shambles that is Six Flags Magic Mountain (6 major rides down for maintenance, coke machines that wouldn't take coins or notes, litter everywhere, ok I started!!!).
The only glimmer for me was Santa Monica which was a lovely area I thought, and certainly compares very favourably against the awful Venice Beach. Perhaps my opinion of LA is blighted by too much GTA San Andreas, I don't know :rofl

Anyway, I have whittled on enough, great trip report.
Greyejectbutton,

On our first visit to San Francisco we did a tour of AT&T park (or BellPac as it was known then) and loved it. We have also seen the Giants play twice now, once on that first visit and again on our round the world trip in 2006 when they lost to LA. It's an amazing stadium, such a shame the team never lives up to that kind of standard.

Ju
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.