UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Sounds like a good day out for when the kids are off in the summer.
For that price, it's great value (just beware of the midges who love me!! :( )

Took some great pics, i might post some links on here to let people see what's in store :) (once i upload them!!)
My dad's family comes from Tighnabruiach so I know all about the midges!
Yeah, i was up and around that area

I love the 5 min ferry crossing, don't know why they just didn't build a bridge!!!! :D
I'm just sorting out a ferry trip for our trip to Fort William next week - Mull is favourite for a day out.

Our 2 year old daughter's favourite book is currently the Cal-Mac timetable. She is developing an unhealthy fascination with the boats in it!
This is really cranky, probably a bit much for a two year old and possibly off topic for the board but.....

..... if you go to http://www.shipais.com/index.php?map=Scotland you can either click on an area map, or click Search from the top line and type in the name of a ship, and it will show you where ships are using GPS plots just like the coastguards see (complete with trajectories and wakes for collision spotting!!). As an example, Calmacs Isle of Lewis is, as I write this, travelling at 16.5 knots on a course of 297 degrees about half way between Ullapool and Stornaway. And for some reason the Stornaway rescue helicopter has just flown right over it. Yes I know, I ought to get out more.......
Oh no ...... the wife is bad enough checking up on ships tooting past the caravan, but we now have mobile broadband down there plus this GPS tracking site, it's just gonna get worse!!! :rofl
I've used a similar site to track my parents flight to Canada a few weeks ago - they were at 38,000 ft doing 550kts just approaching the coast of Newfoundland and were in an Airbus A330.

Not being technology savvy they thought it was amazing it was something you could do!

Your site confrims how busy the Humber Estuary is!
When we sailed back from Isle of Arran with them, first of all when we got on they put the wrong annoucement welcoming us to port instead of to the ferry (ie, not the safety instructions) and when we docked they didn't open one the doors to the car deck making us have to go back up and back down, typical.
Must have got them on a bad day ... i've sailed on 7 of their ferries this year and it's been plain sailing (groan) every time :)
Or the fact I seem jinx ferries :S which is rather alarming. I was once waiting when little for an Isle of Wight ferry and it broke down!
I know the feeling ... virtually every time i do the Dover - Calais ferry it's delayed in docking!!!

I remembers spending an extra hour in the English channel with our boat being tossed up and down!
The very thought of that makes me feel seasick, ie, being tossed up and down. Both times coming back from Calais in the past it's being delayed cue having to hang around the port for a while once I presume being due to the fog, the other time I have no idea. I managed to miss one ferry to Calais in February so I had to get a transfer, my own thought though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.