Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I visited Vietnam and Cambodia in 2003 and was told that in 2002 Angkor Wat had 600,000 visitors and they were hoping for 1million in 2004 I believe this figure wasn't reached due to SARS which put people off travelling to the Far East for a while, but the whole of Siem Reap was a building site. But I expect they have now reached the 1million . I understand the fact that this provides jobs for Cambodians who are the poorest people in SE Asia but Angkor and the other temples are in such a fragile state I also can't see how any more increases in numbers visiting can be supported.
But how did you think they compare to Goa, Judith?
OOOO Tell me more!! This is where I REALLY would like to go!!!
It's 40yr's ago since I visited Goa and from what I remember apart from a couple of guest houses and people smoking funny stuff there wasn't much else there. My visits to India in the last 20yrs or so have been to other areas. So I really can't compare. I was just agreeing with you about the buildingwork going on and how the sites would cope. I was really suprised at the amount of visitors as I wasn't aware at the time that tourism was so developed in both Cambodia and Vietnam.
Cambodia/Vietnam remind me a little of what Kerala was like 12yrs ago, but I would be interested in seeing how tourism develops in the next few years, and mostly how it affects the people. I didn't feel at all that I was regarded as moneymachine as I have in the past in India, though I still love visiting India but am not a regular visitor. Maybe I will get to visit Goa in the not too distant future.
I visited Cambodia , Siem Reap in July 2006 , what can I say?? it is the most fantastic , awesome place I have ever visited, bar none .
But I would find it difficult to compare with Goa , Goa is just brilliant and I absolutely love it but I think a lot of passengers travelling to Goa like to go on traditional packages for 2 or 3 weeks (not everyone of course), a lot of the people in Siem Reap are travellers and are making thier way around the Asia trail, this is a very interesting thread for me as I am very passionate about Cambodia, but I must admit I find comparisons difficult to make, I would love to visit Sihanoukville in Cambodia as I think I could make comparisons to Goa there as it is a beach resort.

If any Goa regulars there are wondering about visiting Cambodia I would say 1 thing - GO FOR IT - I found the scenery, temples and most of all the people were awesome, I truly love Cambodia and everything about it fascinates me .

Of course I love Goa too :D
:) Vietnam and Cambodia are on my list for next year - hopefully a month. I'm hoping they are how Goa used to be.
Here's a wee look at Cambodia. 8)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/mmacbain/Cambodia/John3.jpg
:evil: You're doing this on purpose aren't you!!! :wink: :lol:

I'm reading First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers by Loung Ung - already bought the follow up ..After They Killed My Father.
superb book Pam, I bought a bootleg copy in Siem Reap off a little street urchin, made it all the more precious to me, so upsetting though but a fantastic read .

Max I have photos just like yours , i think everyone stands in the same spot , it's fab I would love to go back there, can I ask where did you stay?
Shirley
I have moved bushbabys question to you re Cambodia to the Far East forum as it is more relevant to there. I'm sure you will be able to help :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.