Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
I think 7 days in Siem Reap is too much, I stayed 3 nights and saw pretty much everything. It's usually very hot and sticky so if you wanted an extra day may give you a bit more time to relax between the sightseeing.

I would stay 2-3 night in Bangkok, then 2 nights in Phnom Penh, 4nights in Siem Reap and maybe spend 4 days on the beach at Sihanoukville to relax at the end of your holiday.
Siem Reap- 7 days is not too much if you want to use this for rest. Perhaps 4 days needed to see everything. Just make sure you have a pool. The bar street there is good fun- lots of fantastic restaurants and little bars. It did remind me of Goa but not as hectic. It is certainly very hot and sticky. I don't think I've ever drunk so much water in a day as I did there!
However, I think Judith might have a better itinerary. I can't help beyond Siem Reap I'm afraid.
Hi Claire,

I'm sure that you'll love Cambodia and think that you will find Siem Reap will suit your needs for
historical sites, local markets, nice food and quiet bars for people watching.
As Fiona says, Judith's suggested itinerary is good. I notice that you have not mentioned a beach in your outline of what suits. As an off-the-wall suggestion have you considered:

-- UK to Bangkok (1 night)
-- Siem Reap (3 or 4 nights)
-- Phnom Penh (2 nights)
-- Luang Prabang (Laos - 4 nights)
-- Bangkok (2 or 3 nights) and back to UK?

Much will depend on when you want to go, whether you mind packing/unpacking and working out detailed flights and timings but, given your basic requirements, would seem to me to be a good option.

Enjoy your research, planning and enjoy your trip. From preference we would probably use EVA Air for UK to Thailand and Bangkok Airways for Bangkok to Siem Reap and Luang Prabang to Bangkok. Have no experience of flights Phnom Penh to Luang Prabang.

Good luck

Peter
Thanks for your responses everyone - you've definitely given me a lot to think about.

I had originally thought about Sihanoukville but have read some mixed reviews of the area. Is there anything worth seeing that I would miss by staying in Siem Reap or particular places to avoid once there? We do enjoy the beach so I will give this some more thought. Laos hadn't even crossed my mind so that's definitely another place for me to look into. We don't mind travelling about a bit but at the same time don't want to waste too much time in getting from one place to another - especially only having 2 weeks.

Thanks again for you help :)
When are you thinking of going? We went to SR in July and decided that it wasn't the best time of year to do the beach part in Cambodia so we went to Hua Hin. We chose that as it didn't involve another plane!
I would choose Luang Prabang over Sihanoukville, but then I'm not a beach person. I hadn't mentioned LP because it would mean another flight, but it's well worth a visit. Laos is probably my favourite of all the SE Asian countries that I have visited and LP is a lovely little town.

Another idea could be fitting in a short visit to Vietnam. You can catch a boat along the Mekong from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc and possibly Ho Chi Minh (Saigon). (I've done it in the opposite direction).

Lots of different combinations to think about and a lovely part of the world to visit.
This information is really helpful so thank you. We'd probably be looking to go in late November next year (I like to plan early for something to look forward to!).
Hi Claire,

Some good suggestions coming in from Judith and good advice from Fiona. Personally, I would not go to the coast (Sihanoukville / Kep) or even Saigon in November - from December, however, perhaps see:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/VVTS/2012/11/18/MonthlyHistory.html

I would not hesitate to go to Phnom Penh / Siem Reap / Luang Prabang / North Thailand in November. The better weather tends to come down from the North.

Obviously this is a personal opinion and others may have different thoughts, but I hope that it helps.

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.