Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
firstly most restaurants will cater for your husband, my daughter is pretty much the same, she would live on pasta iif i let her.

my husbands favourites are lamb kleftiko and beef stifado, both really nice, i love a souvlaki platter and have tried a rabbit stifado, ive never really tried fish dishes, lots to choose from really, just take a look at a menu and see if you like the sound of it :)
Hi Tracey - you're in for some culinary delights in Zante. Some of our favourites are lamb kleftico, which is a whole meal cooked in siver foil in a clay oven for hours on end. Beef stifado is another favourite, as is chicken souvlaki and stuffed vine leaves. I could go on for ever. Just google any of these dishes. Your hubby will be happy as well, there's always steak, chops, plain chicken, chef's salads e.t.c on the menu. Just don't expect to be served quickly - the Greeks have 2 speeds slow & slower still :rofl but my goodness their dishes are worth waiting for. We're off to Zante for the 3rd time in a fortnight, staying at Kalamaki this time - can't wait :sun2 :cheers
lancslass53 and helen t
thanks for your replies, can't wait to try the food in zante. lamb kleftiico keeps popping up and sounds wonderful, love slow cooked lamb.
regards tracey
I forgot about the Zakynthos stuffed rabbit, & of course I love tsatsiki as a starter as well - a kind of yoghurt, cucumber & mint dip usually served with bread or pitta bread-mmmm! Told you I could go on & on :rofl
Tracey - do you or hubby like kebabs in this country?
just a bit of advice unless you like lots of potatoes, if you have a moussaka have it with salad as usually it will come with chips or greek potatoes(which are yummy) annd moussaka has lots of potatoes in it to start with.

At lunch time we like a gyros pitta, im sure your hubby would like them

mmmm tzatziki, im drooling now :haha
At lunch time we like a gyros pitta, im sure your hubby would like them

That's why I asked about kebabs in this country - hubby could live on gyros, but it's not for me - but I don't like kebabs in this country either!
Lancs lass -it's getting closer now - & I' struggling to contain my excitement :tongue
yea me too Helen, a work colleague gets there the day after me so we are both buzzing all the time at work, even tho its my 5th time to kalamaki the excitement doesnt get any less, we even know where we will be having our first meal (sad aint i) :rofl :cheers
hi again,
lancslass53
have had moussaka before (love it)but don't remember it having potatoes in it, sort of lamb mince,aubergines,white sauce and cheese on top. will get to try the real deal in august.
helen t
hubby does like a donner kebab(you have him sussed out already), me i can take them or leave them. the tsatsiki sounds lovely but its a definate no to rabbit we have two fluffy bunnies at home so could never eat rabbit besides daughter who will be coming with us would never forgive me.
regards tracey
There are so many wonderful dishes, that I don't think you'd miss just that one Tracey :D Sometimes we just order a few starters and share them, rather than have individual meals. Don't forget to try the Ouzo, although I can take it or leave it - sis love it :cheers
Our choice is Heavens Kitchen but there are so many lovely restaurants,Hera, Dias, Escape(which is close to Venus), stanis, zepos, michaelos(bit of a trek but worth it), tesoro, parthenon, there are several others id suggest to just have a look around and see what you think :)
Hera do the best lamb kleftiko hubby has ever tasted, i enjoyed it too and im not a lover of lamb
Waw -thanks for that! It's nice to have recommendations to start with :tup
Cant wait to be in Samos this Thursday and enjoying my favourite food on earth.
When people mention the countries most famous for food Italian and French cuisine always come up I always wonder why Greek doesnt get a mention. In my opinion nothing tastes bad when sitting out in the beautiful Greek sunshine with a cold mythos.

Gyros are yummy and even if your other half is a steak and chips man there will be loads of lovely grilled meats to choose from served with salad and chips with a wedge of lemon. My favourite thing to do is order a selection of things to share- we lived on cooked beetroot last summer with fav, calamari. I have sometimes made the mistake of ordering calamari in the UK and it is NEVER the same. Salads are great too- we had a lovely one last summer with roast beetrool, mixed leaves, a soft blue cheese and pine nuts.
just a bit of advice unless you like lots of potatoes, if you have a moussaka have it with salad as usually it will come with chips or greek potatoes(which are yummy) annd moussaka has lots of potatoes in it to start with.

Moussaka does not have potatoes in it, but can be quite filling, so the advice to have salad is good!
Get hubby to try soutsoukakia http://greekfood.about.com/od/groundmeatrecipes/r/soutzoukakiasmyrneika.htm, or if the sauce is a no-no, then keftedes/keftadakia might be ok for him. Also look out for bifteki, or bifteki yemista (burger, burger stuffed-usually with cheese), although in Tsilivi the English translation should be on the menu anyway!
Also look out for sofrito, a Corfu speciality, but can be found elsewhere (I had it a few days ago in Athens), if you find it & it is cooked well it's delicious, & I don't like meat that much! http://www.greencorfu.com/en/eating/sofrito.html
Papoutsia (little shoes) is another of my favourites, so called because it's stuffed halves of aubergine that looks like a pair of shoes!
There is so much, some of which you won't find unless you get out of the resort to village tavernas the locals use, just try as much as possible, there will be very little you don't like I'm sure, you might even convert hubby to something new!
If you should see it on any menus out in the villages, the only thing that is an acquired taste is kokoretsi, a traditional Easter food, but can sometimes be found the rest of the year at a few places,
http://www.greek-recipe.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article516
Beef stifado all the way, that's my favourite winter warmer dish yum yum !!
Going to greece soon-can hardly contain our excitement :tongue We have tried lamb kleftico and beef stifado in cyprus and they are soo to die for :D

I was just wondering what gyros are as everyone on here seems to rave about them?

lilyflipflop
it sounds like gyros are like a kebab so my hubby should like them
regards tracey
Yes, gyros is very similar to kebabs. It can be served stuffed in pitta bread or just piled on a plate on it's own. If we've eaten early in the evening, and are still out late at night, hubby will often pick one up on the way back to the accommodation.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.