Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
I don't think your being too fussy at all. We go on holiday to relax and get away from it all.
I don't think you are being too fussy, However you should be more selective where you stay, there are so many inconsiderate people about who allow children to run riot, I would not want to stop any one from enjoying thenselves but respect for others enjoyment so often doe'snt count at all. Be more choosy and consider holidaying in a small privately owned apartment.

Dave :wink:
I dont think you are being fussy at all. We always rent a villa because you could choose the nicest place in the world to stay but you could have the family from hell in the next door apartment! Im afraid that some people just see a holiday as a chance for them to do nothing including keeping children under control and they are not bothered who it affects.

Sally
Hello salhal, if you don't have kids yourself why not have a look at a Thomson Gold hotel, they are child free and you do get all aged people in them and they don't have all the noise.

Dave
It is still the same thing. Years ago we have stopped booking hotels or appartment complexes because of the noise half of the night. We looked around and booked for years now small and quite appartments.

Regards, Peter
You are not being fussy, we don't like this kind of behaviour neither and that it why after a stay on the Bellvue complex (10 years ago) we now always stay in hotels. British teenages on that holiday thought that it was fun to set the fire alarms off during the night on several occasions.

We know people who own/rent out pivate villas/apartments and the thing I have concerns about is security. On many occasions friends of ours have had the accommodation broken into and no one to turn to for help.

We find that with hotels that not only are they better value, you get normally get higher standards, better security, less families and normally a good nights sleep. However if someone is noisy a quick call to reception has always solved the problem. Also if you can afford it try to stay in a 4 star (sometimes not much extra) but the difference is normally worth it. We have stayed in Alucia in hotels (Sunwing) and had a brillient relaxing holiday.
Have to agree with Vonmac.

Book a cheap Hotel / Appartment and there is a pretty good chance that you will have a Stag or Hen Party in your Hotel, or worst still in an adjoining room.

Book a 4 star Hotel and the chances are very much reduced - Stag and Hens and the Families from Hell, don't normally pay that bit extra, and the Hotels are maybe a bit more selective as to who they allow (in general) and perhaps a bit quicker to deal with transgressors.

Sol Antillas / Barbados in Magalluf was always the Hotel that we stayed in before we moved over here, and we never had a problem with noise.

It's not a snobbish thing, but you do get what you pay for.
To be fair Goodfellow I've seen many a 'rich' kid messing about in four star hotels!
Sometimes they are worse as they have the 'it doesn't matter daddy will bail me out' attitude!
It's all to do with knowing right from wrong and I'm sure having a bit of money doesn't change that fact!
When we first went away as a family we were not well off at all and saved up for years, yet we didn't feel the need to be abusive or wake people up at all hours! Now we are better off we behave in exactly the same way! It's to do with how you are brought up and not what money you have!
I agree with both Chivas and Goodfellow (if that's possible)! In a lively resort like Magalluf or Alcudia with many nightclubs and bars aiming for the younger crowd, the cheaper hotels are going to attract the teenagers and rowdies. In quieter resorts, the opposite can happen and the cheaper, family run hotels can attract those wanting a more authentic Spanish holiday. Really, it's a question of reading as many reviews of both the resort and the hotel as you can - read between the lines as well, a young families idea of an perfect hotel might not be a pensioners idea of perfect.
Thanks to all who posted will look into a hotel next time
Chivas 69

You're completely mis quoting me. I didn't suggest for a minute that wealthy people behave well, and poorer people don't. However several years of holidaying here, and several more years of living here have taught me that the "economy" hotels can attract a type of Gang Holidaymaker that you really wouldn't want to be sharing an adjoining wall with. Also some of the cheaper Hotels have less security, and frankly a much less strict approach to trouble makers.

Obviously these are only generalisations, I'm sure people realise that, but I walk home past the Sol y Vera Appartments, Martinique, Don Juan, and then walk my dog by the Sol Barbados and Sol Antillas, virtually every night and I know a fair bit about unruly bahaviour at 5am.

I stand by my original comments.

Cheers

Adam
This problem isn't confined to SC apartments - it also happens in some hotels. We stayed at a beachfront hotel a few years back which seemed to be in a relatively peaceful spot. It wasn't until we got there that we realised the hotel grounds were a short cut from many clubs some distance away. The noise from both in and outside the hotel was awful and we ended up having to keep all our windows and balconies shut. I was glad to get home to have a decent night's sleep.
I agree entirely with Goodfellow having spent many years of longstay holidays in Majorca, Spain and Portugal.
Helen - although the problem isn't confined to apartments, if you stay in a good hotel, the receptions and security is normally very good and any problems are normally sorted out quickly. 4 star hotels have a reputation to keep. The hotels we stay in normally have security in the grounds of the hotel to keep unwelcome visitors out. In one hotel we stayed in a problem British couple arrived, started causing a disruption and were evicted from the hotel the same night (Benidorm), they had to return the next day to collect thier belongings and even had to find thier own flights home as the tour operator cancelled thier booking for disrupted behaviour.
Went to Majorca at the end of June and stayed in a privately owned apartment with my husband and our 7 and 8 year olds. It was bliss, gorgeous pool, nice area (cala egos). Had really lovely time. I too was very concerned about having to live with families from hell, to the point of actually not booking any accommodation until the day before departure. I was lucky and booked a late deal on the net, so saved money as well!! My advice (from experience) is to spend as much time as you can checking out other peoples experience on sites such as this and take note of what they say. If someone gives a hotel or apartment a thumbs down then that is good enough for me. Also we always travel independently, and have previously arrived in Majorca and found somewhere to stay on arrival. Better that than having a holiday from hell and no way out for a fortnight!! :D
We've had many experiences of the same thing and it ruins your holiday. We always book private apartments now through ownersdirect.co.uk. The apartments are absolutely stunning. We've been doing it for the last five years and have never been disappointed. They are usually set back a little from the resorts in the residential areas so they are lovely and peaceful. We've just come back from Puerto Pollensa and had a beautiful apartment 10 minutes stroll from the sea and the centre of town with no noisy neighbours!
Thats what i do, i also use owners direct and Daltons, liek you say the apartments are stunning, in residential areas, havle everyting you need in them as well.
I always check the reviews before I book. If the only complaints are that the hotel was full of foreigners, no English food and the security guards were strict I'll book it.

I usually find it best to avoid the British on holiday.
Its a problem most places and its down to folk not having any consideration for others. Its the Brits abroad and standards of behaviour and respect for others continue to fall. After dozens of holidays abroad saw my first fight in the swimming pool in Majorca this June! It was a heavyweight contest between two blokes with bellies the size of fridges!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.