France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
We were at St Cyprien Plage last year (1 mile or so down the coast from Canet) at a friend's house. They sometimes get the ferry from Rosyth to Zeebrugge and drive from there, although Globespan flies from Glasgow to Barcelona and Ryanair from Prestwick to Gerona and it's then a 2-3 hour drive.
The area itself is wonderful. Loads of beaches plus places like Carcasonne, Villefranche and Collioure to visit. The folk whose house we borrowed had never been to Perpignan despite having had the house for about 8 years although one of their sons had been once for the shops.
Some of the local Rose wines are fantastic and it would be worth taking the car just to stock up on them. Our children were nearly 5 and 18 months when we went so we chickened out of driving and the inability to bring our usual wine stocks back was really annoying.
We go here most years (honeymooned in Argeles )

Brasilia is recommended to be a good site but not been personally

there are loads of things to do

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/Madcaravanner/France/ check out some of the pictures

Don't forget this is also where Muscat desert wine comes from a very sweet fortified wine BUT recently they have been doing a light version just as strong but a lot lighter and not as sickly sweet

AND on the border is Le Perthus a shopping village not to be missed
DUTY FREE prices but it's all DUTY PAID so no limits

BTW we TOW our own van down there over a couple of days but if 2 of you drive it could be done in 15 hours by sharing the driving
Thanks for the replies, guys :)
I dont know why, but anytime i have coached through that area en route to the Costas, i've always just liked the look of it. I don't know if we would drive, as im the lone driver, but if we did i'd probably do from central Scotland down to Dover, and then try and stop over in northern France for a night ...... how long will it take to go Calais to Canet Plage? I'm thinking 10-11 hours, but might be way off!!! :lol:
Girona to St.Cyprian is about a 1 and a half hour drive,

Good road all the way,

Billyboy.
Thanks for the replies, guys

I dont know why, but anytime i have coached through that area en route to the Costas, i've always just liked the look of it. I don't know if we would drive, as im the lone driver, but if we did i'd probably do from central Scotland down to Dover, and then try and stop over in northern France for a night ...... how long will it take to go Calais to Canet Plage? I'm thinking 10-11 hours, but might be way off!!!

Not that far off by driving continuously we have made Tunnel to Montpellier in 10 hours stopping only to refuel (us and the car)and Canet is about 2 hours further on, on the route we took
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.