America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I would recommend a car. not sure of the Lynx bus service in this area. As to the debit card not sure on that one either although they accept my US debit card with no problem.
Villas are usually in areas where there is no easy access to public transport. Can you not call the villa owner and ask them or is it through a tour operator?

I have read of people using a debit card for car hire before, but it will be up to the hire company. They will probably put a hold of a couple of $100's on your card so you should make sure you have enough funds in the account to cover this and any spending you may do on the card.

luci :wave
I arranged car hire in Tamap 3 weeks ago with Hertz - when I got there my credit card was declined ( suspended due to suspected fraud - took 3 days to sort out - a right pain as well) - they let me take the car with a $200 cash deposit.
I would definitely recommend hiring a car as Southern Dunes is quite a long way from all the main theme parks, (approx guess 40 mins drive to Disney World, would be much longer on a bus). There is a Walmart Supermarket next to entrance of Southern Dunes and a couple of takeaway places across the road but you would definitely need to go further afield for anything else.
We stayed at Southern Dunes a couple of years ago and you definitely need a car. It's a big sprawling estate with a clubhouse where you can get a drink and food but it closes very early evening. Even to get to the couple of fast food places across the road is dicey because it's very busy and not walking-friendly. Depending upon where your villa is it can be a long way to walk back from Walmart with your shopping so a car really is essential.
The good thing is it's very easy to drive over there ( automatic cars ) and, if you are nervous about the busy roads, then take the quieter toll roads and you'll miss a lot of the busy stuff out. Once you've driven a while I'm sure you'll be happy to drive back up the freeway and miss out the toll roads on the way back. Returning the car at Sanford is a breeze, you just leave it in the car park with the keys in and someone comes and collects it.
Get a car, and enjoy and explore.

Jim
For a stay in Southern Dunes you definately need a rental car.
Hi

Car hire is essential as Orlando is very spread out. Public transport is not recommended unless you're stopping somewhere like International Drive. Uscarhire dot co dot uk are worth looking at - they use Alamo and Dollar and I have used them several times and have booked with Alamo through them for 2-weeks this October to pick up at Sanford. Driving's a doodle in the U.S. I have driven all over the East Coast and West and its really enjoyable - give it a try.

Regards

Recruiter1
Thanks guys :)

My other half finally relented & agreed we needed to hire a car.

We spoke to Alamo & they will take a cash security deposit.
Had heard recently that picking up a hired car at Orlando International Airport (Not Sanford), can be a long process, with sometimes up to an hour waiting "in line". :yikes

Has anyone got recent experiences to tell?

Nivsy
It's 4 or 5 years since I flew into Orlando International, but I seem to recall that I used Alamo and it involved a bus journey from the terminal to the car hire depot. There were quite long lines from memory. I seem to remember that just getting through the terminal, clearing immigration and collecting bags sucked up an awful lot of time, more so that getting into the rental car.
All change...most major car rentals (including Alamo) are on site at Orlando International.
Are Thrifty in the terminal as well do you know?

Can just see the sights already - big lines,lotsa luggage and people around, eventually reach car hire desk - aspend ages telling them that I dont want an upgrade, insurance for this, insurance for that, ages locating vehicle...(hopefully not American made) and making a bee line for the latest bar....ah Orlando.....lol

Nivsy
Yes, Thrifty are at MCO and Sanford.
Hi there,
i wonder if anyone can help us, we are off to orlando in 14 days time and have booked a car via thrifty as we are staying in a villa.
However, we have today found out that we need the photo card and the paper counterpart of the driving licence to hire the car and we cant find the paper counterpart. arrghhhh.....
it its unlilkely that we can get a replacement in time before we leave.
We have spoken to two people who have said that they have never needed to produce the paper part in the US for car hire and that we "should be ok"......
anyways, if anyone has any comments or advice we'd really appreciate it.
thanks.
Is there any possibility the driving license people could fax you a copy of the original before then?
i dont know, we are going to call the dvla tomorrow for advice. We will ask about that but i dont know if it will be considered as a valid document for use in the US.....??? thanks for your suggestion!
I used Hertz in Tampa this August, they didn't ask to see the paper counterpart. Just take licence passport & credit card and I'm sure you'll be fine.
You said you found out today that you will need the paper document.... who told you that? the car rental agency ? In the US all we have is a plastic card with DL number, photo ID on it...
hi there, yes the car hire company (thirfty) told us on the confirmation email....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.