Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Two names which spring to mind are Sixt and Buchbinder although I've never used either personally they are well known companies and do advertise interesting rates. Buchbinder don't seen to have a desk at the airport but do have a branch at Freising which is just off the end of the runway.
Thanks for that Steve.

Do you know as well (or anyone else), are there legal requirements when hiring a car regarding the tyres and snow chains etc. We are flying to Munich but are staying in Austria Zell am See, and had heard that you must have winter tyres on the car??

So if we have winter tyres, do we need snow chains as well?

Any advice greatly appreciated (and needed) LOL
This is going to get complicated.

First I've found that the Budget's German site http://www.budget.de has a proper English version unlike the other two. It says that cars rented from them between 1st December and 28th February are equipped with winter tyres (at a charge of € 4.80 per day incl. VAT, winter 2007 prices). Outside this period winter tyres are available on request if sufficient notice is given (but doesn't say whether there would be an extra charge). This may match the German law but there is a tiny entry on the Austrian Government's English news service page which said "Winter tyres become mandatory for cars from 1 November to 15 April." - different dates when you cross the border!!! No mention of a legal requirement for snow chains. Sixt say (in German) €16 a day for winter tyres and €6.50 for chains - although not all cars can take chains.

So, if you are going during the German period it shouldn't be a problem but for November, March and early April you'll need to make special arrangements although I suspect the offices at Munich airport would be very used to this. If you are going in the overlap period it might be easier and cheaper to get the train to Salzburg and hire the car in Austria, depends how much luggage you have. After 09:00 up to 5 people can travel anywhere on Bavarian regional trains for €26 per day, Salzburg station is the border. Just how much driving were you planning to do once you reach Zell?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.