Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
My experience has taught me to take Sterling travelers cheques, enough Euros for you first day and some sterling in cash (£100-£150).
If your going to Kos forget travellers cheques, take some cash and your bank card to get money out the hole in the wall. Make sure you have access to a safety deposit at your hotel or find somewhere close to use, was burgled in Kos and two of us had travellers cheques, was told would have to go to Rhodes or Athens to get them replaced, none of this 24 hour service, talked about this recently in another post, anyway make sure somewhere safe to leave money and go the ATM halfway through your holiday, your going to Kardamena arent you?? I never went there but was in Kefalos and visited Kos Town a few times, been in total 3 times over 3 years. Any other questions fire away
Are the charges not a bit high when you take cash from the ATM?

I think I would prob prefer to take more cash and get a safety deposit box in the hotel, then just use ATM in emergencies. What do you think?
Actually I think I paid £2.50 and only used it once, didnt bother me as was on holiday, plus exchange rate with Halifax was pretty good, just worth bearing in mind thats all
We always take GBP as the exchange rate is so much better in Greece. But we also have a Nationwide bank account and Credit Card. These can be used at any ATM (and there are lots on the main islands) with a Visa sign. The benefit of these are that you get bank rate exchange (generally about 4% better and NO commission. Absolutely wonderful.
Thanks for the replies! I was hoping to hear the exchange rate being better in Greece! :)

Looks like we'll take mostly cash then use ATM. Will get some travellers cheques just in case!

Can't wait....12 weeks!!!!!!!!
I too would recommend ATMs - we have a Nationwide account and they don't charge you for withdrawals.

Dawn
are there any atm machines in kos town

thank you
damon
There are lots on you way up to the dolphin water feature
which is in the centre x
Could anyone tell me if there are any ATMs in Parga Town, as we find them much preferable to carrying cash or Travelers Cheques (Nationwide ATM card of course!)
cheers,
paulo
ATM's are readily available in Parga at all the banks.......So no problems for you there!!
to find ATM machines around the world please look at this thread

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=401

wizard
Can anyone tell me if Tingaki has an ATM? Much prefer depositing my spends in my Nationwide account and withdrawing as needed.

Cheers,
Janet
TO FIND ATM MACHINES WORLD WIDE see the first page of the ATM topic in general enquiries and use the appropriot ATM locator

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=401

wizard
We are (Australians) travelling to Greece for the first time in September and I wondered whether I should take travellers cheques or a card, or both. Are there plenty of ATMs?
please look at page 1 of this thread in the general enquiries section and look for ATM finders

wizard
hi tuanbert

Mykonos town has at least four ATM's. One on the small street leading to the harbour, one in taxi square and two others attached to banks in the lanes behind the cafe area overlooking the harbour.

bill
Santorini is well supplied with ATMs - certainly Thira (Fira) , Perissa and Kamari have them . In Fira they are by the Bank in the street that runs parallel to the bus station, and in Perissa there is one outside Ankor travel on the main street (there is only one main street).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.