Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Cha Am October
11 Posts
Thanks for this Pete, but do you have any further information at all, the articles just state heightened security, any idea in what way this may affect our holiday, if at all.
I dont want to alarm my travelling companions unecessarily.
Thank you.
Hi again stace1983,

I'm sorry but I do not have any further info really.

There is a forum in Hua Hin, where this is causing much discussion (Hua Hin is one of our favourites in Thailand)

Please look through http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/asean-security-precautions-in-hua-hin-t13408.html?highlight=asean

Peter
Thanks again Pete I have had a look through and hopefully it wont affect us too much, I would rather they were strict anyway if there is a security risk.I have checked the Foreign Office website and there is nothing specific to Cha am or Hua Hin. Guess we will just have to wait and see!
Hi again,

We were in Hua Hin, last, just before the last ASEAN meeting there (early October 2008). At the time we didn't notice any inconvenience. Since then I think they had a lot of disruption in a meeting held in Pattaya - it is always difficult to tell in Thailand. Their approach / response is somewhat different to ours (which may, actually, be good!)

As you say, strict security can be a bonus.

I am afraid that I have no knowledge of Cha-Am (we usually stay at the Anantara in Hua Hin) and until very recently, I had an old work colleague who lived there (He's now moved to near Khon Kaen).

I hope that you enjoy this area of Thailand and that the weather is kind. You can get weather forecasts from http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48475.html (Hua Hin has a small airport).

Last year it was pretty good http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/VTPH/2008/10/6/MonthlyHistory.html (Scroll down for a pictorial view)

Enjoy your trip

Peter
Thanks again Pete you are a star :tup With regards to the weather we are expecting some rain and I know there is no way of predicting the weather but is it likely to be overcast a lot of the time? (all the pics I have seen of Cha Am it looks a bit dull!) We were in Koh Samui in July 06 and there were 4 or 5 afternoons where it became overcast and rained but only lasted about 15 minutes then cleared up again. I am hoping it will be similar in Cha Am? If we get a few hours of sunshine per day I will be very happy! :sun2
Hi again,

Last year was the first time that we have visited this area in October - we had one sharp downpour early evening (10 mins) immediately prior to going out - this had dried up by the time we got into HH from the hotel (10 mins).

It was mainly very good sun - the cloud shown on the weather history chart was bubbly and thin (remember you still get the sun through the cloud - cloudburn happens!)

I would say that it was excellent weather and not quite the extreme of heat / humidity as Feb / Mar (our usual time to visit).

You can eat very cheaply - especially if you choose a "Thai" eating place, such as can be found in the night market. I can only speak for HH and we tend to eat a bit up market.

If you are in HH, I can recommend Coco51, Orchids, Baan Itsara. you may like to look at http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/feeding-time-f16.html - especially http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/all-time-favorite-restaurant-in-hua-hin-cha-am-t13262.html

Enjoy

Peter
I stayed at the Regent a few years ago, it's changed hands since and now belongs to Holiday Inns( I think) so it may have changed quite a bit. It was a really nice hotel, I think the best in Cha Am, it has a lovely pool though the beach isn't anything special, I remember a few shops to the side of the hotel and there may have been a beach shack type restaurant nearby. Cha Am at the time was very small and not much happening there, though I believe it has grown somewhat in the meantime due to more hotels being built in the area. The hotel runs a mini bus into Hua Hin several times during the day/evening and we took advantage of this as we found Hua Hin to be much livelier with lots of restaurants to choose from.
I will be interested to hear about your holiday when you return. Have a great trip.

Judith
Thanks Judith and Pete (again!) my boyfriends parents stayed at the Holiday Inn 6 years ago. It was the Regent then, I think. They said it was fairly quiet but they were still up till 2-3am as the bars would stay open as long as there were people drinking in them!! We will probably go to Hua Hin a few times for a change of scenary and I am happy to eat in the Thai restaurants/night market- the cheaper the better! Although we do plan to try the hotel restaurant at least one evening as it looks so nice.
The weather sounds ideal, as long as I come home looking a little less pasty I will be happy! Getting excited now, only 4 sleeps :clap
Will definately post on here when we are back and let you know how it was.
It may be possible to visit the Cha'am beach area - first beach resort I stayed at in Thailand which had numerous restaurants more geared up for the Thai market than Western tourists - well it did when I visited which was many years ago, at the Methavalai hotel.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.