Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
very expensive for what?

i stayed in ps3 in 07 and found the supermarket across the road in 5 and also underneath 4 were quite decently priced?

if your really wanting mega cheap then perhaps a trip to mercadona up at cc san eugeno on the first day and stock up . :tup
Very expensive for everything I thought. Most things double the price of here at home.
givemeabreak wrote:
Very expensive for everything I thought. Most things double the price of here at home.
If you're looking for Heinz Beans, Flora Margarine and McVities biscuits then it will be expensive, these things have to be imported. I have always found local brands to be very good and reasonably priced.
Mercadona is a great supermarket, and popular with the locals, which says a lot for the prices :wink: In addition to the Mercadona in San Eugenio, there is one just on your way into Los Cristianos.
I have also found Netto, Spar and Hyperdino stores to be reasonably priced.
No Cyber, not looking for those things, but just a supermarket without rip-off tourists prices! Thanks, I think I know the one you mean, is it on the right going up El Camison?
givemeabreak wrote:
is it on the right going up El Camison?
I think so, I can't remember the names of any nearby hotels, but yes, it's up that way - the bit that's "only just" Los Cristianos and probably nearer than the one in the CC San Eugenio. I've only ever been to the San Eugenio Mercadona and they have lovely fresh pizzas for a meal in the apartment, the fresh fruit is reasonably priced and the bakery is great.
Will try the one at El Camison then as we'll be walking! :tup
If you intend to stock up.have a look at the prices at supermarket Carolina in Los Cristianos.Its a bit out of the way, but if you buy your weeks there you can get a taxi back.Its situated just past the church on the left as you walk towards bus station, just opposite the Reveron and petrol station.The locals shop there.
hi mercadona supermarket is the cheapest carolina is way out of your way mercadona is situatied go past park de la paz complex cross over road as if walking to loscristanos on back road and its past some spanish cafes then down lifts to supermarket any way you got a tounge in your head just ask
it as some good things and cheap
We live on the island and have never found a supermarket that is 'double the price' of supermarkets in the UK. Any supermarket that you recognise from the UK will be more expensive than the Spanish supermarkets because they are usually selling imported goods. We find Netto's the dearest and Spar and Iceland quite pricey as well. We always use Mercadona and HiperTrebol and occasionally Hyperdino.
Cyberhiker: You haven't been in the supermarkets at Parque Santiago then! Very expensive.
Cyberhiker: You haven't been in the supermarkets at Parque Santiago then! Very expensive.

Nah! Why would I go in them? Obviously they are aimed at tourists staying in the apartments so the prices will be higher, this is the same for any supermarket in or around a complex. As I said before, seek out the Spanish supermarkets and avoid the brands you buy in the UK. We only use Iceland etc. for those UK items that we like and can't get a decent equivalent of in a Spanish supermarket.
givemeabreak:

I have personally been in the supermarkets at parque santiago and have never seena nything thats "DOUBLE " the uk supermarkets,.

What exactly are u buying to come to this conclussion? - it must be goods which are being imported
As in all supermarkets where ever you shop some items will be cheaper in some than others. You just have to look around and find one that you are content with the prices and goods you like or need and not spend all the time worrying about a few pounds or euros. You see people spending lots of money on accommodation and drinks all day with out a thought of the cost and expect to spend peanuts on self catering food.
Scott B:
Do you really think I'm going to get into an argument with you about the prices, I didn't come on here for that?
I found it very expensive
Soap - twice the price of UK
Washing powder - twice the price of UK
Shampoo - twice the price of UK
Shower gel - twice the price of UK
Cheese - twice the price of UK
etc. etc.
Sun-tan lotion - twice the price of UK
I'm not going to name everything but this is just some of the things
I will be trying a supermarket that the locals use as Parque Santiago is 'for tourists' and priced accordingly
Hi

I agree some of the products are expensive compared to Britain but some of this is due to the fact that most tourists this includes the Germans will only buy products they are use to at home and are timid to try other brands. The supermarkets in any place are only stocking what the customers will buy and can be sold one of the reasons Mercadona and Hiper Trebol has fewer British produced items on the shelf.
Listing those items has just proved the point i was making...

i bet you were looking for the same soap, washing up powder etc as back home.

Anyway, i'll leave to moan in peace :cheers
As a matter of fact I wasn't looking for the same stuff as at home.
Another one:
Bread - twice the price of at home (yes Spanish bread)
Ive noticed the prices also givemeabreak, after staying in Santago 3 for 8 times weve noticed the prices go up and up, even for eggs, milk and bread like you say. We said when we return in march we are making a trip to Mercadona and stocking up.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.