Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Never seen it done ,only ever seen child seat belts used, best to phone your airline and they will tell for sure ,it would be a pity to carry it all the way to the airport and be old no.

Bluepeterno1
A child car seat is designed to fit into a car; not an aircraft. Besides not fitting, the seat belts are totally different!

Strawberry
as far as im aware children under 2 are not given a seat and are to sit on parents knees ,
cbcoumbe,

You can use a car seat for children aged between 6 months and 3 years providing this is agreed with the airline prior to your date of travel. If the child is under 2, it is policy for the child to sit on the parents knee. If a child seat is to be used, you'll have to purchase a seat for the child. The car seat must be of an approved design for aircraft. Many standard car seats aren't.

You'll need to discuss it with the airline for their specific policy and requirements.

Darren
We have used our Britax Eclipse on Easyjet flights with no problems, it fit on easily with the lap belt. It is one of the narrowist car seats. The only bother was we had to pay for another seat and lug it about everywhere :roll: . It was worth it in the end though as I didn't have to have my wriggly 18 month year old on my lap for take off and landing ( using a car seat on board is the only way around it) Just noticed your little one is over 2 anyway so it wouldn't matter as much

Check with the airline first and they will tell you their requirement, e.g. must have five point harness.

Katy
Hi Katy,

The Britax Eclipse; is it secured just with the lap belt? And how do you fit it in a car? Do you not use the shoulder harness of the seat belt to fix it?

Is it heavy to carry? Be great if you could attach it to your buggy! Oh, and how much are they to buy?

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

Strawberry
Hi

Yes it can be secured with just a lap belt, just slides though the bottom of the base of the seat, but for extra safety when it was in the car we used the other part of the belt too.

Yes heavy to carry around though, we wont be taking anymore car seats on planes.

I think they are about £80 to buy.
Hi,

Thanx very much for all the replies, I think I will contact the tour company and see what they say, dont really fancy lugging it about myself but wifey would like to use it during the transfer etc etc.

Strawberry,

You seem very interested all of a sudden for somone who gave such a stark reply

Anyway thanx again
Hi, If you book a private transfer they will often provide child seats for you.
I would prob check it in to the hold then, it would save lugging it about after checking in, your son would have his own seat now he was 2 anyway.

Just a thought :)

Katy
  • Edited by kjrv 2007-08-16 08:40:57
Lady,

I did think of that at first but the people im travelling with said they dont mind the transfer.

But i read on here yesterday that the coach stops half way for a break and im not too sure if i can deal with that so might look into it a bit more now

Thanks alot
Someone on another site I use was facing a similar problem and the seat that best suited their purpose was the Britax Freeway (also sold as a Fisher Price seat). Britax always sold it as a narrow based seat and it's fairly light weight, as these things go. Apart from it and the Eclipse the only child seat I'm aware of that can be fitted with either a 3 point seat belt or a lap belt is the Britax Renaissance and it weighs a ton (I have one). I recently contacted Britax and they approve all of these seats for use on coaches (provided the buckle isn't sitting against the car seat frame).
The Fisher Price version of the Britax Freeway is called the Safe Voyage Child seat and is available from Argos. I think Tesco Direct sells it. I bought 2 of them earlier this year for grandparents' cars and they are really easy to fit.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.