Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Sorry but was in Sousse last week and not sure what do you mean by "cover up"?

I took a lot of long sleeved tops, long throusers etc on my first trip to Tunisia - never even took them out of the suitcase.

Normal clothes as you would wear in UK on the street (noit in your back garden LOL) are fine.

Relax and enjoy your holiday :)
Hi, weve just been to skanes,just down the road from sousse. wish we'd chosen sousse,we loved it. as for clothing, most people wore normal holiday stuff. our hotel brochure said trousers for men on an evening and i took some but 99% of men didnt bother and no-one said anything to us. as for kids stuff we took far too much clothing for our 3 yr old boy and he lived in just shorts and t-shirts all holiday even when visiting important sites etc where you would normally cover up, they don't seem to bother over there, they're more interested in your money.
if you need any more tips dont hessitate to ask. :D
forgot to say that when by the beach or pool our son wore nothing but those all in one swim suits. theyre the best thing we bought and incidently are only @ £8 at sainsbury's as opposed to 16 at next for the same item.
thanks for your replies.
What I meant by "covering up" was with regard to visiting the not so touristy areas, as we have no desire to spend two weeks within the hotel complex. To us our hotel is somewhere to sleep & eat & we want to explore as much of the area as we can, without causing offence to the locals.
You may be surprised what locals wear :lol:

Relax and enjoy your holiday - don't forget to come back and let us know how did it go?
Hey Voddy107
Please do not stress about dress code for yourself or for the kids. I brought loads of cover up clothes and I actually found it made me stand out as everyone else was dressed like tourists :shock: !! The most part of Tunisian women wore western style clothes (in PEK, Monastir and Sousse, Kairouan, Sahara trip). I only saw few women completely covered in the veil and they tended to be the older generaton. As Anna said you may be surprised!!! Normal tourist gear is fine but obviously bikinis, bellytops and hotpants in public are a no no but you wouldn t do that at home anyway!!!
Kids can dress as they would at home by the seaside shorts T shirts, cool comfortable clothing .Obviously not provocatively (eg 10 year old girls in really short miniskirts, hot pants and belly tops, dressing like 20 year olds) but again most people wouldn t allow their child to do that at home either.
With regards to trousers some hotels do insist on men wearing long trousers to dinner. Maybe in family orientated hotels its different but in the Kanta, 1 man was made go up and change. but kanta is more of a couples hotel and is quite serious about dress code ( but we knew that before we went so it was no problem).
the main thing is to feel comfortable outside as it can be very hot.
Good luck
As at home just use common sense. You wouldn't go into a church or museum or any government building wearing "revealing" clothing and the same applies in Tunisia. If I'm with a girfriend she always wears longer dresses and covers her shoulders. Men can wear shorts almost anywhere but the further afield you travel from the tourist spots the more funny looks you get (and I'm speaking from experience). But it isn't offensive to the locals, just amusing!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.