America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
chip and pin
10 Posts
Chip and pin hasn't reached most places in the US yet and certainly not in Vegas. The card is usually swiped and you have to sign at an electronic terminal. Not once did they check my signature against the card, but they always ask for photo ID. A photocopy of my passport was accepted everywhere.

luci :wave
Thanx Luci ;)

Will my driving licence be ok for photo ID ?
Yes, driving license is fine.
I had an American staying with me for a few days this week. He had difficulty paying in some shops and in one restaurant as they had new equipment and could no longer swipe cards. He was really bemused by the idea of chip and pin. He had half a dozen C cards and none of them had chips in them.
When we went to the apple shop in the Forum Shops, the guy serving us was absolutely amazed at the chip and pin thing.
When we were there, they gave back my cc without even checking my signature. It was only in Dessert Hills mall (LA) that they checked everything properly.
If your from the UK then chip and pin us us usless here in the US. You swipe the card yourself and press credit and sign for it. No matter what UK card you have in the US when paying use it as a credit card.

US debit cards are a little bit different to UK cards. You enter your pin number in although there is no chip.
As previous posters have mentioned - no chip and PIN in the US yet (although just back from Australia and all Chip and PIN there).

One thing to watch in the USA is some retailers, once you swipe your card, automatically default the payment to your "local" currency. In my case GBP£ and it would seem at a much worse exchange rate than the one obtainable if using your credit card in USD$ and the cost being converted back to GBP£ by your card issuer on your statement. Watch the payment slip and becareful what you sign.
I'm in the US and I have chip and pin on my debit card...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.