Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hello beccy, Chrani is a delightful little village which has welcomed tourism with open arms.Much smaller and quieter than Stoupa ,it is a lovely base to discover this stunning peninsular.Efi studios are in the centre of the village,very nice,lots of pine cladding from what I have heard!Your not far from the beach(none are really) which has undergone a bit of a makeover and smartend up.We returned here for 5 years we love the area so much.Do hire a car and drive to Koroni(my fave),Finnikunda,Methoni,Pylos Pethalidi the choice is endless.Everyone tends to gather at Yannis (poseidon)after the evening meal for a 'night cap'and a chat including the reps so a good chance to grill them for the best places to go.Get Karl to give you directions to the waterfall,not on the tourist map but well worth a dip.Drive over the mountain to Pylos,lovely little villages and breathtaking views,roads are petty good and not very busy.We were there last in 2004 and there were 8 Tavernas then,our favourites were Aphrodites(on the main road on the right toward Koroni) and Parthenon(Kosmar have their welcome meeting there).You can make of it what you like really,a relaxing beach hols or go exploring.If you want a lively night life you will be disappointed,but if its just a chill out your after you cant beat it.Lucky you,less than 2 weeks to go,will you give our love Chrani,Aphrodite and Mama,Yanni,Mary, Yorgos,Andrea and Pete,Karl and Nigel ,if we cant sneak in a visit this year,we'll see them next year. Doreen and John(and super mum!!)
we were in Chrani in 2004 ( I think! my memory's not what it used to be)
some nice food there but it was nigh on impossible to get lunch. The tavernas only opened in the evening.
I agree with the last writer that a car is invaluable. Koroni was my wife's favourite place in that area. The driving is easy and ancient olympia is well with in reach. The mountains above Kalamata are worth a drive with some stunning views and local eating places.
the little shop on the top road is a nice place to sit for a drink if you want to mix with the locals.
Sadly I disagree about the taverna where Kosmar hold their meeting. We went there and found the food disappointing, still who'se to say we didn't hit a bad night because we didn't go back and give it another chance, perhaps we should have.
Whatever I think you'll make your own mind up and one thing's for sure you'll enjoy it. It's peaceful and relaxing and a good base to see the rest of the penninsular.
Enjoy!
thank you dl1 and greekofile for your replies - has given me lots to think about - can't wait!
:)
Went to Chrani two years on the trot, 2003 and 2004 and loved the place and the area. For more info
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/67444/
Hope this is of some help.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.