France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Can you put this in the right area dear Mods? :whoops
Moved from Germany, etc forum.

luci :wave
Well I'm afraid I can't offer any opinions on Northern French Christmas Markets .......... but there is often one in the Gare de l'Est in Paris ........... seeing that the Maison d'Alsace is not far away!!

Traditionally Christmas Markets started in Germany, and as Alsace was annexed to Germany twice this century and has been in close contact culturally for hundreds of years, it is not unusual to find that the Christmas Market has spread over here at a phenomenal rate over the past 20 years.

Many villlages here in Alsace have Christmas Markets during weekends in December, but there are many outstanding markets open from the end of November, and in the case of my 'home' market - Colmar - it stays open until 31 December - just as colourful and attractive but with fewer visitors! I would strongly recommend mid-week visits if you can!

If you are able to fly into STRASBOURG, KARLSRUHE-BADEN or BASEL-MULHOUSE airports, you will be able to enjoy GOOD Christmas markets in Strasbourg (F), Baden Baden (with hot thermal baths!!) (D), Freiburg (D), Colmar (F), Mulhouse (F) and Basel (CH) (though you'll need Swiss Francs for the latter and it may seem more expensive).

(F = France, D = Germany, CH = Switzerland)

It's easy to get to these markets, but the problem could well be finding accommodation locally, so start planning NOW!! You might find hiring a car is a good way to visit the area and get from the airport but once in the vicinity of the market, I would suggest leaving the car safely in the hotel's car park and taking public transport to the actual market itself.

Should you be intending to visit Colmar's Christmas Market, or Strasbourg's or Mulhouse's, and you'd like more detailed advice and help with booking accommodation, please don't hesitate to pm me.
Thank you :tup
That sounds really good :tup This topis has changed it's course since I've posted on it as it now has it's go ahead and it's now a definate and it's probably next month :)
Thanks for your help and advice.
  • Edited by Tarry 2009-10-25 12:43:55
A year later (a lot has changed for me since last year), I'm thinking about perhaps doing this. Not sure how I'm getting there yet or anything, but I'd get there.
Two YEARS later, that's got to be a record I think, I am going over (and booked) to go over on the first Saturday of December and heading towards Belgium, is it better to visit Bruges or Ostend? We are probably leaning towards Bruges at the moment, but just need more opinions. xx
Haven't been to the markets but have been to both Brugge and Ostend. They both have things to offer in their own right. Brugge seems a lot smaller but has lots of little squares with churches. If I was going for Christmas atmosphere I think I'd choose Brugge.
I would also choose Brugge for atmosphere.

Patka
Thanks, that is what I thought :)
Can't wait, not long now :)
Why not just come to the German market in Birmingham? :D
That's quite far away for me :) It's ironically easier for me to go abroad. Oh the joys of the far south east.
I've just come back from Baden Baden. We flew with Ryanair, it was cheap and fine. We hired a car and drove the short distance to Baden Baden, stayed in the Golden Lowen which was lovely with delicious food. It's a small market but in a pretty setting and it was snowing. Decorations were wonderful and we visited the spa. All in all a trip I would thoroughly recommend
Sounds magical :) We decided to head towards Bruges :)
I made it in the end :) The snow melted which made the roads accesible, but unfortunately we got strong f9 winds crossing the channel, but I loved Bruges :) It was truly magical :) I loved it :) I hope to go again.
Glad you had such a lovely time! What did you particularly enjoy there? (I've never been to a Belgian one and would like to know what their take on a Christmas market is!)
Just the atmopshere and dare I admit it the hot chocolate :rofl And the smells of it is something else, it made your mouth water. It wasn't just the market though it was the city it was set in, Brugge is a lovely city and looked lovely in the bright lights of Christmas with all the old buildings decorated etc. Not related as such to the market but some shops there where like you see in Christmas films, ie, with wooden toys, if you get me, it reminded me of my childhood and watching them Christmas movies. I can't really compare it to another one I've been too as it was too long ago.
I hope to visit Brugge in the Summer (obviously not for the market)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.