General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Christmas markets are really common in Easyern Europe. Places like Germany, Austria, Prague etc - think cold - never heard of them in Spain.

I've been to the markets in Prague and Salzburg and they were beautiful - the biggest ones are surposed to be in Germany though.

Google German Xmas markets and you'll get a whole web site dedicated to info on the places in Germany that hold them.
Hi debbg ... we do actually have several threads about Christmas Markets across various forums, which you should be able to retrieve via Search.

David :wave
Basel, Mulhouse, Colmar and Strasbourg have great Christmas markets and are reachable with the low-cost carriers. Good local food, wine and things to see make up the rest of the reasons why you should visit them!
The biggest one in Germany is in Nürnberg, Air Berlin fly there out of Stansted. The only problem with the markets on weekends is the crowds, it's often really difficult to move around and you end up not seeing as much as you would like. Cologne is also very good.
If you do decide to go to one dress warmly, it is often bitter cold in Northern/Central Europe in November and December, though a glass of Glühwein will help keep the chills out.
Alsacienne

Can you tell me when the markets open in France ? I might spend a day in Strasbourg. I always forget about the French markets and I really fancy a bit of french food at the moment.
Usually the last weekend in November, up to New Year in some cases!
Have you considered Lincoln Christmas market, then you haven't got to fly anywhere.?

It is set in the historical town with many European visitors and stall holders and when you've had enough of the market, then the Cathedral is well worth a visit.
HERE and HERE

Sanji x
im off to the one in liege on using eurostar for 3 nights.it was only £60 return and that includes onward travel to liege from brussels.
never been there before but supposedly it has around 250 txmas themed stalls ect.
Thanks, pretty much the same as here in Germany though they always finish before Christmas.
Leger do some nice xmas market trips HERE. I'd like to go but I don't think my teenagers would appreciate it, but there's only a couple more years before they're old enough for me to go without them :D
We have been to Munich's one a few times and love it. The whole thing is more atmospheric than the ones you get at home. It's all based round the Marianplatz (main square where the Glockenspiel is) and the decorations you get are far less tacky (on the whole) than the standard plastic and tinsel type thingies you would get in Britain. Thoroughly recommend the Gluewine and the food in Southern Germany. Some of the window displays in the department stores even put the likes of Harrods and Selfridges to shame.

Off again this year for the first time in about 3 or 4 years and can't wait. Managed to get flights for around £80 each leaving Stansted on Friday 15th Dec.

Think you are better off going without Teenagers to be honest as they are too cynical to enjoy it anymore, gave our 16 and 14 years olds the option of going but they were not interested . So nice weekend away for me and the Mrs in one of our favourate places
I live in Southern Germany and have been to pretty much all the Christmas Markets in the area. I rate Nürnberg as the best, I went to the Munich one last year, hadn't been for many years and was very disappointed, it was really small compared to others and overpriced. That said Munich is a great city with lots of atmosphere, good shopping and some reasonable restaurants. As the previous poster said a glass of Glühwein will certainly warm you up on a cold day.
woah!!

I didnt expect so many replies, I am going to be very busy looking at all these recommendations!!!

Thank you very much!!
Went to Prague last year............ wonderful people , wonderful food , and the markets ...what an experience...loved everything about it .
why travel away theres a german market at birmingham city center till xmas ends i know its not the same as going away but its well worth a look
Hi

If anyone is interested there is a section regarding various Christmas Markets on http://www.ntlworld.com Just click on the link at the top right hand corner.
Also via another link (British Food Quiz and scroll to bottom of page) on the same page it mentions about a German market in Bournemouth during Nov and Dec but says to ring the local tourist board for further details.

Regards Jackie
Can any one advise which is the best Christmas market for a first timer. There seem to be a lot but I am sure they are of different standards.

Many thanks

Trish
The Christmas market in Lincoln (UK) is always worth a visit.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.